• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PSA-Header Gaskets

2kSVT

CEG'er
If no one has been following my manual boost contoller thread, here is my problem. I installed MBC on my tubo SVT,I pump it to 10# and it spikes to like 15# for a second or two on a very pirited 3rd gear pull. Afterward, I hear a puttering noise..I think I broke the 2.5 with too much boost. I hear it coming from the front header area. The MSDS had about 600 miles on them. I got them from NPG and Joey sent me the cardboard like header gaskets. Well they lasted 600 miles. I took the front one off the other day and replaced it. It still makes noise. I just finished the rear one. This is a PITA with everything still in the car. I replaced them with the Fel-pro silver metal looking ones(part #MS95715) The car seems to be leak free now. Pics..
DSCF1004.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

As you can see they were both blown out bad, the left side of the pics is the passenger side of the car. Please use the metal gaskets the first time. They are $10.00, but it took me like 14 hours to replace them, and it is cold here!

Rod

Yeah, you were in the car for the 15# pull. But, I didn't see you when it was time to replace the gaskets! nono

:p

Rod

I have had that copper RTV burn out over relatively short periods of time since boosting my car.

I previously used it as gasket dressing.

The worst location, and probably close to the hottest was the turbo to downpipe gasket, seal area. It seemed to last and hold up well until I put the turbo blanket on.

After that it burnt out and disintegrated pretty quick.

True, I would worry about that but its held up fine on my turbo (crossing my fingers) and always has worked fine in my NA applications also. Never in a true DD but I've got my turbo kit HOT quite a few times.
-J

you work thirds!! i work first!! and i dont want to here it!!! where are you at right now while im putting my timing chain in

Back