• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre98 Timing Marks questions...

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
So I recently replaced the timing belt on my car. Went really smoothly, no issues really, but something I thought was odd. Turned the crank to TDC, timing mark was straight up. The cams lined up at the end, and all was well with the world. What bothers me is that the timing marks on the cam gears were pointing off in no-man's land. They pointed to nothing in particular. I found this to be quite odd.

So, some questions:

1. Are they supposed to ALSO point straight up?

2. Were the cam gears removed at one point possibly?

3. Are the cam gears keyed so that there is only one/a few way(s) to put them on the cams?

4. Could my timing be slightly off if the cam gears were removed before?

5. If my timing is slightly off, how could even possibly go about fixing it? Not sure of the procedure on this...

the cam gears are not keyed. i dont remember any timing marks on the cam gears anyways so its not exactly relevant.

the cam gears are not keyed. i dont remember any timing marks on the cam gears anyways so its not exactly relevant.

Interesting...

Well here's my take, but maybe I'm getting too nitpicky with my car. I feel as if the timing isn't dead-on. When we took the old belt off, it had very little tension due to a shot pulley. The cam alignment tool we used (makeshift) wasn't a perfect fit, and allowed a small bit of play in the cams. No big deal, we thought, because the teeth on the cam gears would match up perfectly with the teeth on the new belt. That wasn't quite the case. We installed the belt front cam first, and pulled it across to the rear cam, and the teeth were off by almost exactly half a tooth (think of the teeth as "crests" of a wave - the crests should line up with the troughs, but instead the crests lined up with the crests) on the rear cam. So we turned the cam a tiny bit to match up the teeth, and then set the tension. After setting the tension, the cams weren't quite *perfectly* lined up, but it was very very close.

I'm just wondering if I should loosen the cam gears, align the cams better, and tighten the cam gears after setting belt tension...

i would say if you have the time its worth doing, if the car runs fine and you dont have the time, then just leave it. i would also recommend using the real timing tool kit.

Well the car runs OK, but I'm having other issues as well. I've seen people post in the past mentioning bad/good gas mileage as a function of timing. I've never gotten over 28, when other Zetec/ATX owners have claimed up to 35. :shrug:

There are no timing marks, either on the crank or cam. You use the crank pin to find TDC on the crank, or just point the crank keyway to the 12 o' clock position (not as accurate). As for the cams you really really need the timing bar. If you do not loosen the T55s on the cam gears as per the procedure the tension will most likely be off. It's actually a very simple and elegant timing system. Remember that some people have to pay big bucks for adjustable cam gears, and ours have them from the factory.

That said, 98+ with VCT are a pain because the exhaust cam gear is much harder to work with.

If your timing doesn't feel quite right, it's easily adjusted. You can do it without removing the motor mount or drive belt. Take the top cover off and you can get to the tensioner and cam gears. Loosen both cam gear T55 bolts, take the valve cover off, and put the timing bar on. Then put the timing pin into the block and turn the crank until it hits. Then, set the tension. Then and only then do you tighten the cam gear bolts (I use an impact gun to tighten them, as the clamping force is all that maintains their position on the shaft). Zetec timing adjustment, start to finish, 20-30 minutes tops if you have the right tools.

Back