• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power steering pump removal

ztecfreddy

CEG'er
Hey guys,

I am having trouble removing the Union Nut off the power steering pump. It just doesn't seem that there is anyway to get to it. The space is too tight to fit a wrench.

Anybody ever do a power steering pump in a 1998.5 zetec?

I'm getting desperate.

Ahhh, I just ran into this problem today after trying everything to get the damn pump out (with and without the big mounting bracket), I don't think its possible without removing the engine or the front end :mad:

Anyone figure out an easier way yet? :help:

Guess I wasted my money on a power steering pump seal kit :nonono:

Remove the 3 bolts from through the pulley and then you can pull the pump up. From there you can get to the line connections.

Maybe on a pre 98 but no such thing on 98+ :shrug:

PIC_0069.jpg

PIC_0070.jpg

Theres 4 bolts holding it on to that big bracket. You can get 3 out no problem but the 4th is being blocked by the high pressure line that comes out the bottom of the pump :nonono: Neither the bolt or the line seem to be removable while in the car :blackeye:

Duh, totally forgot I have the Ford factory service program :blackeye: ...

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Special Tool(s)
Expander, Teflon Seal, or equivalent
211 - D027 (D90P - 3517 - A)
Remover, Pulley, Power Steering Pump
211 - 016 (T69L - 10300 - B)
Installer, Pulley, Power Steering Pump
211 - 185 (T91P - 3A733 - A)

Removal

01. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

02. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

03. Remove the lower splash shield.

04. Remove the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .

05. Lower the vehicle.

06. Remove the accessory drive belt upper guard.

07. Detach the high - pressure tube support bracket.

08. Disconnect the power steering pump low - pressure hose.
-Drain the fluid into a suitable container.

09. Detach the coolant hose retaining bracket.

10. Using the special tool, remove the power steering pump pulley.

11. Disconnect the power steering pump high - pressure tube union.

12. Remove the power steering pump.
-Remove the four power steering pump retaining bolts.

:eek: Now I just need a puller and installer :help:

Update: Bought a power steering pump pully puller/installer kit and it had the right adapters and such so I went to town...

PIC_0077_tn.jpg

Found it alot easier to remove the pump with high pressure line still attached, and just take it off while its out, because its really hard to get a wrench on the union nut without it slipping off.

PIC_0078_tn.jpg

PIC_0079_tn.jpg

PIC_0080_tn.jpg

PIC_0081_tn.jpg

PIC_0082_tn.jpg

PIC_0083_tn.jpg

Replaced every seal in the pump, and overall it was simple and easy, just have to make sure everything is clean when reassembling.

Hope this helps for anyone else that is planning to do this :cool:

Very cool

Very cool

As an owner of a 98 and 99, good stuff to know. Now where did you buy the puller, which model, and how much?

We'd like to know

I bought the Puller/Installer kit (for power steering and alternator pulleys) from Canadian Tire so I couldn't really tell you where to buy in the US.

The kit is made by Powerbuilt (Kit #20) and was $49.99 CAD

I couldn't find any pics online and they only seem to have a New Zealand site :crazy:

Pics of said kit..

PIC_0085_tn.jpg

PIC_0084_tn.jpg

Back