• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power seats question

enduro

CEG'er
Considering replacing my stock 96 cloth seats with leather seats from a wrecker. Unfortunately my drivers seat is moved manual and the leather seat is a power seat. A few Q's

1. There is wiring for the seat in car but does it actually work? or is another case like the foglights (if not originally equipped) where the wires do SFA .

2. Will the the seat move manualy?

1. The wiring may or may not work. On some of the cars, simply putting a fuse in the proper hole in the inside fuse box made it work. A quick check with a circuit tester or anything 12v will tell you.

2. No, you'll need to wire it up. I had to hook up a set of alligator clips and run a wire from the battery for temporarily moving the seat when swapping out seats.

At least you have the plug, when I swapped to leather, I didn't have one. But like Matt said, throw the correct fuse in the box and see what happens, if that doesn't do it you could always wire it like I did mine, and simply connect the wires to the actual fuse and then run them back.

Yeah mine didn't have the wire either. I used a fuse adapter and pulled the power from the stock fuse location, and grounded it into the metal under the seat. Just be sure to throw an inline fuse somewhere in the wiring. 30amp fuse.

I'll probably give it a shot, thank for the replies.

One other question , would the front seats from a mystique work for a contour also?

I'll probably give it a shot, thank for the replies.

One other question , would the front seats from a mystique work for a contour also?

I think the only difference is the Contour front seats have perforated leather, and the Mystique have flat leather. They'll work, because I have Mystique leather seats in the front of my car.

It works !!!

It works !!!

Got the seat,put in a 30W fuse in the # 28 slot in the interior fusebox, plugged in seat and it works just fine.

I got a 96 SE seat that has the extra thick bolstering. Not sure if I'm sold on the seat as its a tight squeeze. I might end up going with the Mystique seat instead.

Hardest part by far was pulling the seat at the wreckers. The seat was pushed fully back which made access to the back four bolts difficult.

Seat itself only cost $2 total after using $12 in core refunds from previous purchases. Better yet, I must have found about $4 in change wedged between the seat-console. So I actually netted a profit on the seat.

Back