• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plenum chamber problem?

thoughtso

New CEG'er
So this is the situation underneath my plenum chamber:
20230402_171805.jpg 1684644523580.jpeg20230402_170725.jpg

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I think this is some kind of plug that overheated, broke, and the bottom part stuck to the intake manifold, but I really have no idea. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
So, the nuts on the top of the chamber that are to hold it down in place, the studs are cast into those rubber insulators. Over time the rubber breaks off. I had this on my Zetec years ago. It doesnt hurt anything, just the plenum might not stay on as well as it should.

So, the nuts on the top of the chamber that are to hold it down in place, the studs are cast into those rubber insulators. Over time the rubber breaks off. I had this on my Zetec years ago. It doesnt hurt anything, just the plenum might not stay on as well as it should.
Thanks for the clarification! At first I was worried there might be some kind of air bypass pathway through that rubber insulator that was compromised. I decided to slice off what was left of the rubber insulator up to where I finally saw the stud you mentioned. Yeah, maybe just not quite as stable now but no big deal.

Back