• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Please watch out!!!

So yesterday I go on a ride up Highway 9 and skyline with my dad(Ducati ST2) and my uncle(Triumph Sprint ST). We were going at a leisurely pace up to a lookout point that overlooks Palo Alto. As we were going around a left hand turn around 40-45MPH, this honda civic comes all the way into our lane. I mean ALL 4 tires were in our lane. My dad was in front, me following, and my uncle behind. My dad hit the brakes and tried to avoid her, but he had no chance and ended up lowsiding on his left. He slid, then rolled, and as he was rolling, his upper back and head hit the side of the ladies car, leaving a nice dent in her rear door and rear bumper. We had to move his bike out of the street because there was some traffic comming. We took care of traffic control until the sherrifs came. Luckily for us there was a sheriffs meeting a mile or so down from us. The ambulance came they C-spined him and then took him off to stanford. He ended up being lucky with no broken bones. But he did walk away with some scratches, one that required several stitches in his arm. His Left knee is also banged up and swollen pretty good. We will find out if his Duck is salvageable or not later in the week

If I would have been in the contour, I would have hit her head on. I still can't believe it.

my dad was driving in a canyon and a moving truck was in my dad's lane going up hill in the wrong direction-- thats how his new car was totalled.

glad everyone is ok

Johnny,

Sorry to hear about your pops man. Hopefully he heals up fast.

Also, I've said this before and I'll continue preaching it. In the Bay Area there is no way I would ride a bike on the street. Trailer it to track days only.

Way too many dumb ass drivers including women of Indian and Asian descent who never pay attention.

My brother lives in the east bay, and had somebody cut him off in heavy slow traffic; he hit the back of them, and went over the top, bounced off a mini-van, and into the back of another car. The whole front of his midsection was bruised for a month. Thank god he wasn't seriously injured, and the same goes for your dad too.

Thanks, yeah, we were just cruising on 35, not even going that fast, infact I think we were actually under the speed limit. I am just glad he's ok. Rara, sorry to hear about your brother, glad he made it thru with nothing to serious

Glad to hear your dad wasn't seriously injured. Hope he's feeling better soon!
Good to hear that your brother's injuries weren't more serious Rara. Both accidents could have been much worse.

Driving between San Jose Airport and Morgan Hill and back practically no one bothers to signal when making a lane change. By far the worst of that bad habit I've observed, and I travel a lot so I've seen the bad habits of drivers in many states.

I still can't get over drivers in Detroit doing 80 MPH on glare ice. I learned winter driving in Montana and Wyoming and have no trouble holding 60 MPH in a blizzard, but not with Detroit rush hour traffic.

I still can't get over drivers in Detroit doing 80 MPH on glare ice. I learned winter driving in Montana and Wyoming and have no trouble holding 60 MPH in a blizzard, but not with Detroit rush hour traffic.

Well, for starters, we just don't get glare ice in detroit, lol. But, the idiots here is the very reason I won't buy a bike while I live here.
and Fwiw, I have done 80+mph on packed snow on I94 in Detroit, lol. It's not that bad if you have the proper snow tires; its actually pretty fun as long as you are away from all the retards.

Johnny,

So what reason did the driver give for being in the wrong lane? The immigrant drivers in the Bay Area scare the bejeesus outta me! I don't mean to be stereotypical or racist; but the Asian and Indian drivers are cluless out there! I have seen it all and I often wonder how they get licenses without knowing the basic rules of the road. In my opinion the Indian drivers are the worse offenders. They tend to think they can go anywhere at anytime for any reason. I saw a guy come to a dead stop while turning left from Saratoga north on to Kiely west to talk with someone he knew. I don't know how he managed not to get rear ended. I have also seen drivers on the San Tomas sitting broadside in the fast lane because they wanted to turn left at the very last second before entering the intersection. What are these people thinking? I remember last year a motorcyclist was killed on hiway 35 by a driver that had crossed into his lane. He had no chance! It's a pity.

when I first happened, I was yelling at her, trying to figure out what the hell she was thinking, she said that there were so many turns, and that they were so fast. This really confuses me, because she wasn't going all that fast, she left absolutely no skid marks on the road. When she talked to the CHP, she told them the she was trying to avoid a bird flying by. And when my dad talked to her insurance they said it was a flock of birds. I am thinking that the next time she tells the story to someone, it's going to be a deer or something. We all thought that she was foreign, but she was a late 20's early 30 year old black female, from the US.

I really don't understand how our DMV tests are so easy, I was talking to a friend who's driving scares the crap out of me because she is so inatentive. She said that she hit a curb during her test, started crying and the guy still past her. WTF!?!? My other gripe is that they have the tests in like 20 different languages, last time I checked all the street signs were in english.

I believe the problem is the Calilfornia DMV is SWAMPED with applicants and there is not enough money in their budget to provide for adequate testing and screening of new drivers. Consequently, they tend to just process folks to keep from getting more BURIED than they already are. I won't even touch the issue of English roadsigns for non-English speaking citizens. I'm seeing stuff on the road today that I never saw 10 to 15 years ago. I used to be a professional driver back then. Anyway, glad to know your dad is OK and that no one got seriously hurt. Question for anyone reading this? What's up with folks stopping at a light three car lengths back? When did that crap start?

ha ha, I don't know, but I once went infront of them, I figured if they don't want to be there than I will make use of the space. I think they are hoping someone will rear-end them and get money. It makes absoultely no sense, and is going to cause more congestion, as well as more accidents because people will see the space, but then have to react to the driver stopping short. Lame

Back