• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Painting chrome grill black?

I bought a new grill for my elky mesh and want to paint the chrome plastic black. How would you prep it? I thought 1200 grit sanding then spray can primer and then spray can semi gloss black? How did you guys do it? Thanks, Duane

normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

Just clean it with soap and water, don't bother drying it, and start spraying.

You guys are freaking funny! Nowhere under search did I find any exact instructions other than one acid dipped thread and one that sanded all the chrome off. This was before I asked for help. If you spent your time answering questiions or adding links, you'd be concidered helpful!:shrug:

i did mine the way you first stated. light 1200-2000 grit sand, light primer coat, 2 coats black, clear if you want. I mean you could acid soak it to get the chrome off...but id rather paint it again when it chips rather than go through all that. I peeled my rear chrome strips chrome. DO NOT TRY TO PEEL IT. It's possible but the 8,000 miniscule cuts your hands and fingers will get is not worth it.

bringing an old thread back...........how long do you have to leave the oval in there? and do you dilute the acid with a little water?

Back