• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Paint help question?

Branchedout

CEG'er
Hey guys!

My friend has an RSX-S. Unfortunately she rubbed a mail box the other night and this is the result:

coliecar2.jpg

coliecar1.jpg

There is no body damage, just paint transfer. I haven't seen it in person, so I'm not sure if any of it is actually "scratched." It's a leased car, so it needs to get back to 100%. Anybody have any suggestions? The tailight will most likely need to be sanded, but the paint itself, can that be buffed out or maybe claybared?

Thanks guys!
Mike.

Get done there with some Goof-off and a little elbow grease and try that. My father rubbed a mailbox too. Nothing but paint transfer.

Do not use Goof-Off first.

Always start with the mildest product and increase harshness as needed.

Start with a paint cleanser/cleaner (Meguiar's Cleaner Wax) and really work it

Paint polish, rubbing compounds and Goo-Gone are a safe options.

Always follow with a good wash and wash.

I use a clay bar and ScratchX to remove defects exactly like that. A good paint cleaner would help remove any remaining traces of the scuff. Follow up with a layer of wax for protection.

I've successfully removed paint transfer damage like that with cotton balls and either 90% rubbing alcohol, or paint thinner. Then wash, clay bar, and paint cleaner and wax. Left behind nothing but the physical scratches.

Rubbing alcohol was used on one car to remove paint transfer from another vehicle (scrape and run :( ), and the paint thinner was used on another occasion to remove yellow paint from a parking lot post mishap.

Back