• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Paint flaking off

ssolomo

CEG'er
I have a set of Voxx wheels
jb.jpg
with my snow tires mounted on them (had them for 6 years now). The paint has been flaking for a year so I try to keep the salt off of them, but really, they are my winters so I don't care much - plus, I think I paid $50 each new (plus the tires from Discount Tire Direct). Now the paint is almost completely flaked off of one of the wheels, and the others aren't far behind. I don't care if they stay unfinished, but will the aluminum alloy be damages if left unpainted?

Thanks.

4 lugs

4 lugs

They are 4 lug. Spacing rings were necessary too - the plastic looks pretty beat up, but it holds on the hub just fine still. I used Voxx's picture on their discontinued wheels part of their site to show the wheel itself.

I emailed Voxx also to see their opinion of leaving the wheels unfinished (and whether or not I should paint the inside of the wheel as well as the face). He doesn't have a concrete reason why it is bad to leave them unfinished, but it probably would be better even with a ghetto spray can paint job. Add it to the summertime list of things to do.

Hello Steven,

“The “whole” wheel should be painted and clear coated to protect it from break down.” If we were talking about a fence in your yard, you would be ok but these are wheels on your car.

I understand you wanting to save money because they are winter wheels but it is important that they are painted and clear coat is applied to the whole wheel to keep the integrity of the wheel.

Many Thanks,

Scott Allman
Voxx Products Inc.

its possible the road salts etc could start eating away at the wheels. a coat of paint is going to help prevent that. just sand em down and hit em with some spray paint and call it done. repaint as needed.

Back