• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P1000 code & SMOG

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
hey guys. i need a bit of help with the p1000 code i'm pulling. i searched P1000 code in this forum but came up with little. i went to get my car smogged so it could be registered. it was rejected both times i tried. so i drove the car all over the place hoping it would go away. still the p1000 code keeps coming up. here are the three reasons on the list as to why it didnt pass.
1-obd cycle incomplete(obviously)
2-evap cycle
3-egr

the egr one i think i might've corrected as joey told me he turned off the egr in my tune. that still leaves me with the other two. i already performed the steps outlined in the ford cd to facilitate the completion of the computer cycles.

car's exhaust info- npg turbo y-pipe, msds headers, aftermarket cat, turned off downstream sensors.(does this matter?)

so what can i do for the car to pass smog? i appreciate the help.

P1000 means that the pcm was recently reset and that the tests have not all been completed yet. its nothing to worry about.

now that you have somethings turn off you might have an issue. some states are not detecting this. It seems normal to turn down stream O2 sensors off to get more power, and OBDII emissions testing can now pic up on this in some way.

I would see if you could get an emissions tune from Joey where nothing is tuned off, and you will just need to run low boost.

Last edited:
The Contour's parameters for several of the tests are tight.

My 98 took about SEVEN WEEKS to finally run the EVAP readiness monitor a couple of seasons ago....

Steve

P1000 means that the pcm was recently reset and that the tests have not all been completed yet. its nothing to worry about.

now that you have somethings turn off you might have an issue. some states are not detecting this. It seems normal to turn down stream O2 sensors off to get more power, and OBDII emissions testing can now pic up on this in some way.

I would see if you could get an emissions tune from Joey where nothing is tuned off, and you will just need to run low boost.

Is it possible the P1000 wouldn't be turning off because the EGR is turned off, making the PCM "not ready," because it can't "test" the EGR? :shrug:

Is it possible the P1000 wouldn't be turning off because the EGR is turned off, making the PCM "not ready," because it can't "test" the EGR? :shrug:

maybe, that is a good question. I though that it would come up as N/A or something along those lines.

also I am sure it differs by state but you shouldn't need everyt test completed to pass emissions, normally you can pass with x out of xx completed because as mentioned above it can take some time for all the test to be run

I'm not sure about where you live, but you can jump some hoops in Massachusetts (kinda surprising, isn't it? :))

Obtaining a Waiver

If your vehicle is rejected by a licensed inspector, you can apply for a waiver that is good for the two-year inspection period. But Massachusetts does not make it easy. There are several requirements you must meet just to apply:
  • Proof of repairs totaling at least $400 for vehicles up to five years old, $300 for vehicles six to 10 years old, or $200 for vehicles more than 10 years old.
  • Work orders and receipts from a state-registered shop and a signed Repair Data Form from a licensed technician.
  • Inspection printouts from before and after repairs.
  • Inspection proving there was no tampering with emission controls or the on-board computer.
  • Proof of some reduction in pollution after repairs and that pollution does not grossly exceed standards.
  • Ability to pass the safety inspection.
However, you might get screwed with "tampering with emission controls or the on-board computer."

I was told by joey that for the O2 sensors it will continue to loop just but read at 0 (?) meaning everything "looks" normal.

I believe he turned off my egr as well, and I have no problems.

I can drive it around town for you to get some miles on it.

http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/checkengine.htmlQ: What is the code P1000?

A: P1000 is not actually a trouble code. It just means that the Readiness code has not been set yet or in other words, the engine computer hasn't completed testing certain emission control components. If there is no other problems with the car emission system, the code P1000 will disappear after driving for some time (the drive circle must include idling, stop and go traffic, acceleration and steady cruising).

I suspect that with certain items in the drive cycle "turned off" the OBD II system may NEVER be able to complete testing all components, and therefore the P1000 code may NEVER go away.

The O2 sensor reading zero will NOT be seen as normal. O2 sensors vary each side of 0.5V to control the air fuel ratio at 14.7:1 and thus reduce the CO and HC emissions. With the O2 sensor reading zero, the fuel system will run RICH (high CO and HC) and the CEL will be turned on.

so i'm guessing i'll have to put back those downstreams. now i've gatta reroute my wideband. sheesh! it never ends. i still have a question tho. ppl with p1000 codes still are able to pass smog. hows that?

As my assumption maybe wrong about reading zero, mine are turned off and have no cel. :shrug: I wouldnt get all crazy yet, O2's are commonly turned off and pass testing. I would listen to some more suggestions.

Well if you put the downstreams back and run with them, will you pass? I mean, I think you can opt for the sniffer, but I'm not totally sure. If you WOULD pass the sniffer I guess you could try doing that :shrug:

talked to a tech today at dmv. for smog to be waived, i have to provide receipts showing expenses of $450 or more directly related to the emissions. hmmm... between replacing all 4 sensors and a couple of other stuff, am sure am right around there. we'll see.

am sorta stuck now. am about to put the downstream 02 sensors back, but i cant seem to find the connections. i bought the car with an already modded exhaust. i have no clue where they're tucked at. what are my options? i'll check autozone n see if there are pictures

Back