• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Overhead "mood" light (LED help)

KingpinSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
Ever seen a car with a soft led light that is on when the lights are on? Usually looks something like this, and found in various over seas makes (Nissan/Infinity, VW, . . .):

IMG00027.jpg

Picked up some white LEDs and holders to mount, but need help. These lights create a very soft light at night, you would hardly notice it. My question is, what kind of resistor might I need? I don't know the first thing about them. My goal is to have just a little light reach the center console from the overhead area.

Questions? Thoughts?

What kind of light are you looking for? Regular filament type require 30-33 ohm resistors to make a soft light, while leds require a 1500-2000 (1.5k-2k) ohm resistor to make the warm light effect. You can buy warm light leds without having to worry about resistors from www.besthongkong.com They ship really fast (one week to your door) and they are cheapest led i've ever come across and they are good quality leds. I've bought a ton from them.

Last edited:
I already spent way too much on the overpriced radioshack leds (3). Only needed a couple, didn't feel like waiting.

Will try what you mentioned. I can solder, don't need the premade.

I was looking to buy leds for the tail light project I am working on and I went into radio shack to buy a few to see what color (white or red) will look best. When I saw they wanted $5 something for one wide angle led I turn around and walked right out. Ever if your buying only a few leds your better off paying for shipping.

I think you really want warm white color you need to just buy warm light leds and not try to use resistors to make a super white a warm white. (I am not sure if that will even work.) You will just lose brightness from my understanding.

Back