• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Optimizing SVT TB

Mac

CEG'er
i've been trying to find this how to for some time now... i've actually came across it a couple times, but it was only a link and the link didn't work...

so does anybody know where i can find it or have a WORKING link....

thanks, Drew

Is there a reason that everyone here calls it "optimizing" rather then porting? Am I missing something?

It is "optimization", not porting. Porting implies an increase in the inner diameter of the TB and thus fitment of a larger throttle plate. That is not what is done.

Basic optimization consists of the following:

1: Remove throttle body
2: Remove TPS Sensor http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=50388
3: Remove screws retaining throttle plate. The exposed end of the screws will be crimped in order to prevent them from backing out. Uncrimp them before removing.
4: Remove throttle plate and extract throttle shaft. Make sure you note the position of the springs and orientation of the throttle plate before removal. This will make reassembly easier.
5: Using a Dremel cut off the front half of the throttle shaft.( the side where the headsof the screws were)
6: Again with the Dremel, using a grinding bit and then a sanding drum, remove approximately half of the remaining shaft.( the side where the ends of the screws protrude)

You can stop here and reassemble your newly optimized throttle body, or you can continue with...

A: With a file, you can "knife edge" the throttle plate. CAREFULLY remove material on one edge of the end of the plate that turns into the air stream when you open the throttle. Only do one side and be very careful not to remove to much material as it can affect idle by letting air slip passed the throttle plate.
B: You can also port the outer portion of the throttle body before the plate. Here is what it looks like. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=49790&highlight=Throttle+body+optimization The important hing is not to do ANYTHING to the area where the throttle plate seals!! If you knick or grind that area at all it will cause idle issues.

I think that covers almost everything. That's off the top of my head there may be things that I missed, and I'm sure someone will chime to let me know :laugh:

Anyway hope this helps, sorry I don't have any pictures. I wish the HowTo's were fixed.

i've been trying to find this how to for some time now... i've actually came across it a couple times, but it was only a link and the link didn't work...

so does anybody know where i can find it or have a WORKING link....

thanks, Drew

Drew......send it over to me...i'll do it for you real cheap and i'll do a how-to for everyone.

Esp since your car is down for the winter. It will give me some time for a detaled setup. Let me know.

Back