• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil filter #

royalblue

In time out with LUCA
So I was changing the oil for the first time in the Wintour and got all the goods from wally world the book they have calls for a Fram #16 but when I got under the car and pulled the old filter it was Fram #3600 :shrug: they are both the same thread but the 3600 is easier to install and the post 98 Zetec's take a Fram #8316 :shrug: why the change as they all have the same thread and mounting surface .
I'am not looking for a this brand is better than that brand of filter debate just what are you Zetec guys using # wise in your cars
This is probably old news for most of you but I just started dealing with the Zetec
BILD0050.jpg

by the book the pre98 zetec is suppose to use a FL-200 iirc. the FL-200 crossed to the PH16 from fram. well the PH16 from fram crosses to the FL-300. the FL-300 is what I have been using on my zetec. and come to find out the FL-300 is a short version of the FL-1A.

For 98 and later both Contour and Focus Zetec I have used FL2005, but they are drying up, no longer made. Replacement is the FL400 I think but it has no anti-drainback valve like the 2005 did. When other makers get wind of it, they will probably drop the 2005 type one as it costs more to make.

Motorcraft has quit making the FL2005, only ones left are disappearing fast. Ford cares not, the cars are now past all warranty periods. The valve mentioned stopped some early zetec from rattling at start. Valve located in the center hole of filter.

Motorcraft has quit making the FL2005, only ones left are disappearing fast. Ford cares not, the cars are now past all warranty periods. The valve mentioned stopped some early zetec from rattling at start. Valve located in the center hole of filter.
STP makes one with a valve #3614 it's the same size as the #3600 same thread pattern and mounting surface

edit my bad :blackeye::troutslap: not #3614 but instead #8316 sorry if I messesd up anybody's day:eek:

Back