• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil feed line trick????

stilov

CEG'er
I have a braided line for my oil feed and I have one of the swivel attachments so that it ill screw onto my -an adapter plate on the turbo.

It leaks oil. Is there a trick or useful info that any of you guys have on how to seal these very well?

stilov did you buy the braided hose prefitted with the ends on it?

If you didn't then you need to make sure you cut the hose with a die grinder wrapping it in black tape tight. Then you need to make sure it slides all the way on then tightenen the fitting on the hose pull on it to make sure it's on good. Once you get both side on nice and clean cut then put some liquid teflon and put it on the male fitting end that goes into the turbo or adapter plate. Tightnen it down real good do this on both sides then the hose should just compress up tight.

Basically yyou need to make sure you installed the peices right.

thanks for the advice...here is a pic of what i have...do i haev the little metal piece facing the right way?

You can see on the left hand side how it is slightly tapered.

Now does anyone have constructive advice...besides don't screw it up!!! :)

Attachments

• contour 3l turbo.jpg
    contour 3l turbo.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
The simple answer is you're trying to thread two different types of fittings together and that's why it leaks. I'm not exactly sure what the fitting on the left is, but I'd hazzard a guess at 1/8" iron pipe. The fitting on the right is a JIC/AN type of fitting. You need an adapter between the two. Wrap the fitting on the right (iron pipe) with teflon tape and get an adapter that goes from it to the correct AN size. The AN fitting will be a tapered end that does not require any teflon type as it's made for pressurized liquids.

You should be able to pick up the correct fitting at any store that can custom make hydraulic hoses and you MIGHT be able to find the correct fitting at some automotive parts stores that carry high performace hose ends like Earl's etc.

Rick

they came in the same package...it's Russell.

the piece on the left is a nylon hose with one of those little piece of copper beads that you feed the line through...my thought is, i didn't feed it through enough.

after reading the "advice" I guess do I need to pull the nylon through more?

I think the little plastic tube on the inside must come all the way through the copper bead, then push fully on over that metal nipple on the fitting. Then you slide the copper bead all the way forward over where the metal is inserted into the nylon. Then you bring up the outter sleave and crank it down until that bead compresses.

When you undo that outer sleave the bead should already be compressed tight enough that it will hold the nylon in place on the metal nipple reasonably well.
If you cannot slide the bead up over the plastic tube then it may already be partly compressed and you may need another one. Remeber that it will be really tight aread but you should be able to push it up over the nylon/nipple with some force, enough to get the threads started on your outer sleave.
That will pull the bead forward as you start to tighten it and when it bottoms out it will compress.
The other thing to worry about is the nylon slipping backward as you tighten it. Just keep forward pressure on the line until the fitting begins to get tight.

Back