• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil change intervals

Zetec_contour

CEG'er
What is the best time to change the oil, i've been told 5000 kilometers but I just did mine today and my oil was still pretty clean, but was over 10000 kilometers old so(hasn't been changed since I bought the car in march 2008) lol

A lot of it comes down to what kind of oil you're using and a bit of personal preference. If you're using a full synthetic of any quality, 5000 Miles (too lazy to convert to km's right now) really should be fine for most. Many here still change at 3000 miles, which certainly doesn't hurt anything. If you're using what most people now call a mineral oil, which is just good ol fashioned engine oil, 3000 miles would be a good interval. This comes from over 4 years working at a Ford dealership quick service and seeing how the oils tend to hold up in all different conditions and engines. I'd also highly recommend the motorcraft oil filters, honestly one of the best filters out there in my opinion.

As far as time intervals, if you don't log many miles, synthetic should be good for 5-6k miles pretty easily, mineral 3k miles or so would be fairly safe.

I'd also be remiss if i didn't point out that this is based on a well maintained and fairly normally driven engine. If the car (and engine) are beat to hell, or you drive it like you stole it all the time, the oil will obviously need more frequent changing, as it has more work to do. Hopefully this will help give you some general guidelines though.

ah cause this time i used valvoline high quality conventional oil(not sure what exactly it was called but it was on sale at walle world)and the traditional favorite filter of mine,FRAM. But next time I will be using Full synthetic high mileage oil and the fram, so i think i'll be good for 5000 kms or more

Whatever you do, dont knowingly use a Fram oil filter. Not only are they cheaply made but they charge more than less expensive filters that are better made.

fram is the cheaper you can get here and it's the equivalent of motormaster for what I've heard.

Ever since I've owned mine, I've done oil changes at 5k intervals with Quaker 5w30, day/night/sun/rain/snow. (5ks are easier to keep track of :) )

At odd times I use shell 5w after I seafoam the engine.

K&n= brand name overpriced, doesn't revive yer engine by any means or work any better...

really? thats odd,I've used fram in all my vehicles and never had any problems,but next oil change I'm gonna look around, I believe k&n makes a decent filter.

Fram makes some okay filters but their standard orange filter is trash. String and cardboard have no place in an oil filter. The company that makes the K&N filter almost makes the Mobil 1 filter and used to make the great priced Bosch filters. That being said the Motorcraft filter made by Purolator is a steal at $3.50 with its nice silicone valve and spring.

Don't use a NAPA filter, either. One I just took out of my car rattled when it was taken out. :shocked:

Not always a bad thing. A rattle means its probably using a real coil spring for pressure bypass instead of a stamped sheet spring.

so my next filter should be a motorcraft then? What synthetic oil should i use for my next oil change?

For the v6 I love the MC because its inexpensive but top quality. If I remember correctly the Zetec filter is harder to find so anything thats not made by Fram should work just fine since it will likely be a Champion Labs or Purolator filter. As far as synthetic goes are you doing it for more mileage between oil changes or because someone told you to switch? Valvoline makes great oil and their Max-Life is an especially good synthetic blend considering the price. Of course the MC oil is a good synth blend at a good price too.

There isnt anything "better" about it for a high mileage engine besides the longer oil change interval. Of course on an older engine you may opt for the standard interval with either conventional or synth blend.

Well i'm looking for a good oil that will stand up to some abuse cause I want to race my car every now and then.(NOT STREET RACING) At my local track, we have spectator races I want to get in on, it's both fun and legal.:laugh:

Don't use a NAPA filter, either. One I just took out of my car rattled when it was taken out. :shocked:

Not always a bad thing. A rattle means its probably using a real coil spring for pressure bypass instead of a stamped sheet spring.

no this was a sound like the whole internals of the filter came free from the housing.

If you have the v6 use the Motorcraft 820S, if you have the Zetec, use the Motorcraft specified for it ( think it is FL2005). Use Walmart synthetic oil and since it has a good price change it a the intervals Ford says to change it.

Back