• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

October Fires Part II

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Is everyone all right? Recoveryone, are you in on the efforts?

We're tracking the Marek fire right now - last time I checked, the evac zone was about 10 miles away and inching closer.

What I saw yesterday afternoon [10/13/08]

CIMG7662.jpg

CIMG7667.jpg

CIMG7683.jpg

Keep safe guys!! tigrpwr those are some scary pics. :shocked:

I don't know how you tolerate those. CNN had a video of some guy driving through one on the highway. It was creepy enough when I drove through a burned part of Cali/Nevada border, never mind actually seeing an active fire. I'll take 6 months of winter anytime.

Here we go again, it seems everytime the weather man says high winds, we get a fire. Its like a starting gun for arrsonist, (which is the number 1 cause for most fires in Southern California). :mad:

I think this will be a annual thing here in So Cal.....With developers putting up houses right up hillsides and the way brush and ground cover grows over the years, it just spells fire dangers...Add in the Santa Ana winds and you have a no-win situation.......

So, why do they keep developing and building in the high fire danger prone areas? You would think they would know better by now. People can rebuild their homes. What happens to the surviving wildlife?

As I pointed out in a early post, 99% of these fires area started by humans, which has been investigated in the Tea Fire. So the building location is not the real problem, but the continued careless acts/ Arson are the issues.

I beg to differ with you on this. It does not matter how the fire starts, its what happens after it does. A downed power line (from the wind due to a falling branch or tree) would have the same result. Lightning strike? Same result. What a price to pay for a pretty view.

I think developers have no choice here in certain parts of Southern California....Most areas are densely populated and the only areas are the mountain/canyons areas.....Unless you go out to the Antelope Valley(basically desert) or parts of the Inland Empire......The city of Ventura has been fighting the development of the mountain sides for years......Simi Valley has a big development called the Big Sky community which they basically developed the northern part of the city right up to the mountain range that borders the city....Sign of the times.........

Back