• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O2 Sensor - Retarded Question

Savior

CEG'er
OK, after reading a lot about exhaust laws and what will pass a typical emissions test, I think my mostly-stock SVT with a MagnaFlow Hi-Fow cat (it says "Street-legal everywhere except California" on the box) should probably pass a smog test here in WA. Some guy with one of those on a Duratec Cougar apparently did it just fine. Also, a buddy informed me of a place that rarely does smog tests, so I'll probably go there.

In any case, the cat is causing the typical P0171 SYS TOO LEAN and P1131 LACK OF H02S1 SWT LEAN codes. I bought some MIL Eliminators, but being car-retarded, I don't know where the O2 sensors are. I googled many images and forum threads, but could not find any diagrams or pictures. I know this is probably basic stuff, but where exactly are the two O2 sensors? And although I have a socket set, do I actually need a specially-sized socket to remove them? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated... My tabs are already expired (I was deployed by the military during the whole month they expired) and I really need to get past the emissions test and get them renewed before I end up with tickets all over the place :(

mil-eliminators will not correct those codes. they only prevent the pre-cat codes which are P0420 and P0430.

chances are you just need a new O2 sensor.

the mil-eliminators are installed on the down stream O2 sensors. one is on the y-pipe and the other is at the bottom of the front exhaust manifold. depending on what type you got they migh just plug inline between the sensor and the harness. But they will not fix your issue.

CRAP! I thought a Hi-Flow cat (especially combined with a Magnaflow Res, which I also have), would throw these codes..? Or is that only gutted pre-cats, custom headers, and more extreme exhaust modifications?

I guess I confused the codes and exhaust setups and their various issues. Oh well. At least I have some nice MIL Eliminators for when I finally get my MSDS header installed.

and answering your question about the tools, unless you plan on cutting the wires that go to your o2 sensor then you you need a special socket. the socket has a slot cut in the side for the wires to stick out of.

just splice the MIL's in-line with the O2 sensor wiring before the harness connection, you can do it in the car and not have to remove the O2 sensors.

Last edited:
That said based on the codes you have you probably need new O2 sensors anyways... so yea, put the MIL's on the O2 sensors before you put them on the car and you win ;)
No, because the codes the OP has are for the upstream sensor, and the MIL's go on the downstream sensors. :troutslap:

No, because the codes the OP has are for the upstream sensor, and the MIL's go on the downstream sensors. :troutslap:

doah... I mis spoke... thanks for catching that! Brapple had already pointed that out too... wow I really didn't read.

On another note... what's with this '2009 Honda' in your sig now? Did you sell the Tour?

Well, me thinks I be boned anyway now; I cleared the DTC's and drove for awhile, and now it's popping up with P0450 and P0455 on top of the P1131 and P0171. Definitely over my level of expertise. I guess it's just time to take it in to a shop. Crap. :(

Back