• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Now to clean MAF, 1995 Contour 2.0L

gary_jabo

CEG'er
Greetings;
I have been getting intermittent CEL 181 codes lately. I changed the O2 sensor. I've read in this forum that I should clean the MAF. How is that done. Some pictures would be nice.
Thanks in advance.
Gary / Atlanta

Very basically you get some anti-tamper torx bits, unplug the sensor, unscrew the screws, pull it out, spray it clean and re-install. Of course you can always remove the whole assembly and spray the sensor wire mostly clean without pulling the sensor out.

Very basically you get some anti-tamper torx bits, unplug the sensor, unscrew the screws, pull it out, spray it clean and re-install. Of course you can always remove the whole assembly and spray the sensor wire mostly clean without pulling the sensor out.

Correct, you can go one step more and order the Maf sensor cleaner. Which includes a special brush with cleaner to actually clean the wires.

90% of the people resolve their maf issues by simply spraying electrical cleaner spray into the maf hitting the sensors.

Thanks for the replies. I did not remove the MAF sensor from the intake but I was able to take the intake off the car and spray the sensor with CRC Electronics Cleaner. I did not touch the wires as they looked too fragile.

I ordered a set of security Torx driver bits to remove the sensor next time.

I'm curious whether this may help the CEL 186 code. I'm also getting CEL 181 but I replaced the O2 sensor last week. I've read that vacuum leak can be a problem too. I tested the EGR per the Haynes manual. It functions properly. Anything else I should do?

Can anyone tell me what voltages I should see at the pins of the MAF sensor?

Gary / Atlanta.

Back