• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Ways To Supercharge!!

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so i was thinking that instead of running the votech superchargers with a fail rate close to 100 percent, why people havent tried custom mounting a regular supercharger on to our lower intake manifolds. A supercharger that wouldrun off a belt just like the old school ones. i think it could be done but like you would have to custom mill a block of aluminum to match the bolt pattern on the supercharger on one side and the mounts for the lim on the other. hood clearence would be a problem but with the cowl hood it should fit as long as the adapter piece isnt too tall.

wondering if anyone has tried this or would want to. just was thinking today while being bored.

its kinda hard to make room when the throttle body is on the opposite side of the serpentine belt. also you would have to figure out how to do the pulley setup, and get the belt to go around the motor mount which is right above the power steering pulley. it'd be a pain is what im saying. your better off talking to blackcoog and buying one of his vortech setups (no shaft drive)

its kinda hard to make room when the throttle body is on the opposite side of the serpentine belt. also you would have to figure out how to do the pulley setup, and get the belt to go around the motor mount which is right above the power steering pulley. it'd be a pain is what im saying. your better off Buying Burritas and Toms new Turbo System

Fixed

The main reason that was not done originally was due to the lack of hood clearance. I guess you could cut a hole in the hood for the blower . . . and always have someone in the passenger front seat to watch traffic that you can't see over the top of the blower.

you guys can buy burritas and toms turbo system. it may turn out wonderful, but since i love superchargers, and i can go over to chris's house and look at the blower, and ride in the car, and SEE that it works.....i will go with that. also, the flat torque curve might be slightly more usable.

Kenne belle already did this with the escape 3.0. Contour motor mounts get in the way, and you'd have a retarded hood lump. Just ask worldtour how Rezlo's same type of set up came out on a cirus.....

FYI vortechs can be made reliable...

its kinda hard to make room when the throttle body is on the opposite side of the serpentine belt. also you would have to figure out how to do the pulley setup, and get the belt to go around the motor mount which is right above the power steering pulley. it'd be a pain is what im saying. your better off talking to blackcoog and buying one of his vortech setups (no shaft drive)

how much would that vortech setup set me back if i have someone install it for me cause i have no idea how to do it

2500 is price range for blackcoogs supercharger. It might be closer to 2800 in the end.

you ar elooking ar around 500 to get it installed

so 3300 then you need a tune..

anywehre from 300-600.

so i say around 4 grand for install and tune.

An intercooler might be needed, shich is not inlcuded in the kit.

actually chris said is about 3200 right now as it sits, the head units are expensive and CCW

Jeez, 3200 bucks! Better off going for Burrita's turbo for less money and more power.

I just love how much more efficient turbochagers are! :) I could car less about the low end.

yeah 3200 is steep and that's without tuning. you could cut the cost down quite a bit if you didnt get a polished blower, and you ran a different catch tank. the catch tank is expensive for chris to make right now. i'm trying to help him find something that will fit from another model of car for people that are trying to be cost effective. and for whoever posted on top of this, i am not a fan of the low end either. i just want the smooth transition from teh bottom to top. with a high horsepowered turbo FWD car (this goes for many makes/models in my personal experience) the bigger the turbo the more high end power. which is great, but it hits so hard that it breaks the tires loose in many cases. i want something that can get great traction and still build up to a very nice high end torque #. that way (hopefully) i can get great traction, and even if i have a little less power than the turboed guy, i can use my power more effectively. plus, in higher gears i will have the giggle juice to stay out in front of some of these turboed cars which make most of there time from half track down to the end of the 1/4 mile. that's just my idea, i'll let you all know how it works and save you 3200 if it doesnt work any better than a turbo :D

I agree $3200 is steep but most of the decent supercharger headunits out there are near or over $2k. Then there is a custom engine mount bracket, piping, BOV, Intercooler, custom coolant tank, tubing, intake filter, belts, pulleys, etc. You also have to make some kind of money off the kit or it's not even worth it to build it.

Back