• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New member here! 1998 contour SVT

theboss3512

New CEG'er
Hello everyone! Glad to see this is still an active site for information!!
I just purchased a two owner 1998 svt contour with 74k miles off the original owners nephew. He purchased the car from his uncle in 2010 with 14k miles, drove it till it had engine issues and parked it. He says he had the engine rebuilt a few years ago, with diamond forged pistons (11.1), K1 forged rods, arp head studs, king rod bearings, updated water pump, polished crank, and supposedly the oil pump was modified to solve the oiling issues these had. Car runs super smooth, no oil pressure light, and appears to have actually had the work done. I'm hoping he can find the receipts before I pick up the car so I can have an actual record but we will see.
Interior and underside are incredibly clean for the year, and being from Ohio and ending up in Massachusetts I was pleasantly surprised so I had to grab it.
Only downside is they didn't replace the clutch when the motor was out and it's starting to slip at higher rpms, so I'm going to have to deal with that. But what better time to throw headers and a y pipe on it, as well as an upgraded clutch and flywheel!
Excited to start doing research and reading up on these more. I'm fairly familiar with the platform but this will be the first svt I've worked on.
Thanks for having me!

Attachments

• IMG_20231017_110455_237~2.jpg
    IMG_20231017_110455_237~2.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231017_110455_295~2.jpg
    IMG_20231017_110455_295~2.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 12
welcome, and nice car man! Clutch jobs on these cars are super fun! I just replaced mine, myself about 80 miles ago. The biggest pain to deal with. If you have the know how, you could probably do it yourself. Luckily, an oem quality clutch isnt too expensive. I need a new exhaust for mine at the moment. Would like to see more photos of your svt in the process of your working on it

welcome, and nice car man! Clutch jobs on these cars are super fun! I just replaced mine, myself about 80 miles ago. The biggest pain to deal with. If you have the know how, you could probably do it yourself. Luckily, an oem quality clutch isnt too expensive. I need a new exhaust for mine at the moment. Would like to see more photos of your svt in the process of your working on it
Thanks man! Just ordered a ton of parts for it. Fidenza flywheel, luk clutch, h&r springs, new Sachs SVT front struts, kyb rears, tons of bushings and all the engine gaskets so I can hopefully stop all the oil leaks while I have the drive train out. Luckily I'm an ex technician, and have a shop and a lift so I know I can do it. I also know not going to enjoy it 😂
Still have to order the msds headers and y pipe.
I'll be sure to post lots of pictures and updates on the repairs!! So far I've had it 2 days and I'm already in love with it.

Sounds like you have all the necessary tools to do the job! Good luck with all the fun upgrades as well. Photos of your progress would be great to see. Also, looks like your car is a 98.5. Do you know your build number?

Sounds like you have all the necessary tools to do the job! Good luck with all the fun upgrades as well. Photos of your progress would be great to see. Also, looks like your car is a 98.5. Do you know your build number?
I do not know the build number, is there a registry for these cars like other SVT cars?

Never did a clutch myself , I let a transmission shop do my old 98, but i'd say replacing the Alternator is a close 2nd (pain)

" is there a registry for these cars like other SVT cars "

Here's a old post saying here " call 1-800-FORD-SVT "
but i just read a old post on SVTperformance.com from 2006, that that number doesn't work, they suggested this

877 837 2582
800-367-3788

Call the Ford Performance Info Center @ 877-837-2582 Monday-Friday from 8:30am to 6:00pm Eastern Time. Certificates of Authenticity for SVTOA members is $30.00 and $40.00 for non members. Make sure to have the VIN# handy for the build certificate for your car. I would also recommend the hardbook Powered by SVT @ $34.95 it's a must for any SVT owner.

There was a SVT owners group, where you could get a certificate, but i just tried the link to it, and it doesn't work any more.

Like many things, it's more then likely move to Facebook.

I don't have 1 for my 99 either, so i'd be interest if you find out ,any more info

Last edited:
You have to call 1800 ford svt. They can give you any build number for any type of svt vehicle. I just dont know if they charge you for it now.

Speaking of the dreaded alternator job - having just done mine last week (shudder) I'd strongly advise the OP to install a Motorcraft rebuilt alternator while the trans is out. I THINK that the alternator will be easy with the transaxle etc out.

Still kicking myself for letting the local shop (used to be a rebuilder now a purveyor of Chinese garbage) sell me an off brand alternator when I took mine in hoping for a quality rebuild a few years ago. The one they sold me was iffy from day one, I'd have returned it right away if it were half as hard to swap.

This go around was combined with a complete front end overhaul. Having the strut and a arm out made the alternator a tad easier but still awful.

Gosh the car drives nice with new (NOS BAT) struts, bushings and ball joints!

Like all newer cars, they build them to be assembled, usually from the bottom up, which sucks for us

I have done an alternator on these cars about 6 times. If you have extensions and swivels and the right sockets, its not horrible, but is still challenging.

nice looking car. I have spent my life in MA/RI and always enjoy seeing a local CSVT. Very tough to find one these days, and a nice one at that.

Fyi, an alternator on these cars is nothing compared to a clutch job as far as difficulty goes. Be prepared to replace every single nut and bolt on the subframe along with bushings. I did mine on my own and every time i removed something, it had to be replaced. I had to find a special shop just to find the right bolts to reconnect the subframe, as well as cut old bolts off to gain access and room for the transmission to replace the clutch.

Joe

Nice find with all of the mods! I have similar mods on my 3L hybrid after shattering a piston... twice. These cars are worth the rebuild, in my opinion. They're just so much fun to drive. Congrats and take good care of her!

Fyi, an alternator on these cars is nothing compared to a clutch job as far as difficulty goes. Be prepared to replace every single nut and bolt on the subframe along with bushings. I did mine on my own and every time i removed something, it had to be replaced. I had to find a special shop just to find the right bolts to reconnect the subframe, as well as cut old bolts off to gain access and room for the transmission to replace the clutch.

Joe
Thankfully this wasn't a new england car it's whole life and was never to my knowledge driven in the snow so I'm hopeful with a torch and induction bolt heater I should have zero issues with the subframe bolts.

Speaking of the dreaded alternator job - having just done mine last week (shudder) I'd strongly advise the OP to install a Motorcraft rebuilt alternator while the trans is out. I THINK that the alternator will be easy with the transaxle etc out.

Still kicking myself for letting the local shop (used to be a rebuilder now a purveyor of Chinese garbage) sell me an off brand alternator when I took mine in hoping for a quality rebuild a few years ago. The one they sold me was iffy from day one, I'd have returned it right away if it were half as hard to swap.

This go around was combined with a complete front end overhaul. Having the strut and a arm out made the alternator a tad easier but still awful.

Gosh the car drives nice with new (NOS BAT) struts, bushings and ball joints!
Considering the battery light has always been dimly illuminated since I bought the car that is the plan. How ever finding one has been a little tricky. And I'm dropping the entire drivetrain out the bottom on the subframe because I am doing timing cover, oil pan, valve cover, and intake gaskets because she leaks a lot. Figure the alternator, and header install should be a breeze with the motor out of the car!
Parts all finally arrived, so hopefully this weekend I'll start the rear down.

Back