• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need a favor please!

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
As some of you know Tess and I are finally taking the plunge into home ownership. We looked at a house tonight that everything was very solid with (no creaking floors etc) on 3/4 acre etc etc. There is some updating that needs to be done but whatever.

The area of concern is in the basement, it's very evident that the water water has been leaking (vacant house) and there is water along an interior wall and an exterior foundation wall. There is evidence that mildew has begun growing. Here's where the favor comes in. Is there anyone here that has a construction background or knows enough about this stuff that would be willing to take a ride out to Hinckley with us some time and give your opinion if water is just from the water heater (which is what I suspect) or of there could be a larger problem.

We fully intend to have a licensed inspector do an inspection but want to avoid paying and inspector up front if someone could give us a solid opinion.

Hope all that made sense as I know I got to rambling.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You may be able to take care of the mold if its just on the wall surfaces. We get surface mold in new construction, and we use a chemical to treat the area and wipe it away. I'll find out today what the product that we use is.

As for the water leak, if you're seeing it around the exterior foundation, check to be sure the gutter leaders are aiming away from the foundation and that water isn't pooling next to the wall. I've seen cases where an incorrectly graded lot will pool water next to the foundation and cause leaks in bad rain, even in a brand new house.

Thanks guys. Going to look at a couple more houses tomorrow. Going to swing back by that property and make sure to take some pictures of the area in question. I know pictures aren't as good as seeing it in person, but it might give you an idea of what we are looking at.

Back