• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Turbo Project

rac74

CEG'er
This is going to be a running thread like many others. It's going to be slow because of all the parts we're going to be making. The progress I'm showing is the battery relocation my dad and I have done this past weekend.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/678557/4

The first shot is in the trunk. The box is a custom made aluminum piece made of 1/8th" plate. What you can't see on the back is the 150amp circuit breaker. The ground strap goes under the carpet and is attached to a bulkhead fitting. We used 2 gauge welding cable because of it's flexibility, it runs up the drivers side to the engine compartment. It is secured to the chassis with cable straps.

It comes up the firewall tight against the fender then on the outside of the fender to the power distribution block, this was a custom billet Al piece I made. It attaches to the left terminal in pic 3. You can see I cut the tray which still allows the fuse box to be secured. Also, the one small harness that comes off the starter and into the box for the starter relay was able to slip on to a piece of the tray by chance, worked out great.

In pic 2, you can see where we bent the main cable from the starter around the trans mount, out of the way, and fastened to the fender using cable straps. It runs to the right terminal in pic 3. All the power wires from the fuse box run into the PDB and are held by set screws. The grounds from the fuse block all meet in a fitting that is mounted to the fender (as seen in pic 2 & 4). Pic 4 gives a nice view of the layout.

And of course pic 5 shows the turbo in it's respective position to everthing else.

I have been working on a radiatior for the L/A intercooler. I finished one side of it last week, I have the bungs made and welded to one of the side pieces on the opposite side. I'm going to finish it hopefully this weekend and I can show you guys. It is 12 rows cut from my old SVT radiator and is setup as a 2-pass core. I'm just making Al endtanks to make it a 2-pass.

Once that is done, I'm going to make header flanges. We already figured out how to make the oval to round tube pieces that come right off the flange. We're going to make a mild steel version first, then the final will be of 16g 304SS. The pipes will be 1.75" x 11.5", trying to get them all equal length. I found weld on merge collectors that will go to a 2" pipe for the crossover tube. They'll then merge in the front into a 2.5" up-pipe to the charger. This will be a long process so I won't have pics for a while because so much will be going on.

You can view my plan on how everything will be done on page 3, it also includes pics of some of the parts I currently have.

let us know how it goes! ;)

Btw, it might be good to keep a total of the cost for the DIY'er that plans to be building their own turbo kit. I think some of the people that come on here think they can turbo their car for a few hundred dollars. All it takes is just a turbo right? Some of these people need a reality check. :shrug:

Sweet! Aluminum d. block? never seen one like that! I hope you go over the top and nor settle for seconds on this. Does MSDS or whatever have equal length headers for svt? Looking forward to more progress and seeing those headers man wow, this is excellent of ya! Dont short yourself for greatness and reliability.

Hope that's a sealed battery in the trunk.

It is. I still have to get some all-thread and tap the holes in the pieces coming off the box. The studs will screw in, then have a lock nut on the bottum. I can then put the polished aluminium tie-down on that I made and secure them with lock washers and wing nuts for easy servicing.

Where we mounted the PDB it was in the way of the hood support, so I cut a piece off. It was then heated, bent, and finished so it still functions properly.

Definitely keep us posted I'm really tired of the newbies who just wanna turbo everything. So it'll be good having an informative person do a step by step walk through so everyone knows its not just something that can be done in a day with a screwdriver and 20 bucks.:laugh:

Definitely keep us posted I'm really tired of the newbies who just wanna turbo everything. So it'll be good having an informative person do a step by step walk through so everyone knows its not just something that can be done in a day with a screwdriver and 20 bucks.:laugh:

lol, yes but that won't change. People need to learn somewhere, sometime. Someone with a burning question on his mind will post it without reading anything else. Better to just have patience.

let us know how it goes! ;)

Btw, it might be good to keep a total of the cost for the DIY'er that plans to be building their own turbo kit. I think some of the people that come on here think they can turbo their car for a few hundred dollars. All it takes is just a turbo right? Some of these people need a reality check. :shrug:

i built one for my 93 Probe GT for about $600. mostly junkyard, swapmeets and my DSM buddies leftovers:laugh:

Back