• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My new project car

Buddy Palumbo

Hard-core CEG'er
Picked up my latest project car this weekend - here a couple pics :

PA110006.jpg

PA110008.jpg

It's a circa-1960 ('V-front') Fire Chief car , made by a company named Murray . It's in need of a re-do , but it's very complete (except for the hood bell) , and even has wide whitewalls ... well sort of ;) . I've been looking for one to restore for a while , and now having a kidd-o of my own , I have a "real" excuse . It's even the same style car I used to pedal around in as a kid , so it's a trip down memory lane too . I even got a killer deal on it , so - BONUS ! I'll be stripping it down to nothing & re-doing it fully . Yes , it'll be used once it's done .

PA110009.jpg

Called a v-front , for obvious reasons :

PA110018.jpg

The original pedals are in great shape ...

PA110016.jpg

The original graphics :

PA110020.jpg

Thanks !

It's not really that bad , Todd . It definately needs to be totally gutted , sandblasted , given a bit of bodywork & painted , but don't forget that it's only about 2 & a half feet long :) . There's also a buncha repro parts out there for 'em , should I want to use 'em (will most likely get new hubcaps & needs a new bell) , but even wheels , tires , steering wheel , decals (originally painted , but ...) , pedals , etc. are available if need be . All I need is spare time :troutslap: .

The Mustang's definately cool :cool: . This Fire chief car , is actually derived from the original style (that I had) called the Tee Bird .

I'm sure she'll test out the handling of the car - I can see it now ... "Daddy , watch this !" ... and down the steps , off the porch she'll go ! Arse-over tin cup & off to get stitches :blackeye: .

Of course I'll have progress pics . I was actually thinking about semi-gloss black with old-school Von Dutch pinstripes , like daddy's car , but I may actually do it original , but we'll see ...

I've still got my old Lemon Peeler to restore , but this will come first .

I was actually thinking about semi-gloss black with old-school Von Dutch pinstripes , like daddy's car , but I may actually do it original , but we'll see ...

yeah I can see your dilemma. Restoring to original is a cool idea, but it almost would be more fun to add your own touches to it.
If it's going to be played with, I say do it the way you want. Eff the collectors 50 years from now. ;)

The Mustang's definately cool :cool: . This Fire chief car , is actually derived from the original style (that I had) called the Tee Bird .

I'm sure she'll test out the handling of the car - I can see it now ... "Daddy , watch this !" ... and down the steps , off the porch she'll go ! Arse-over tin cup & off to get stitches :blackeye: .

Of course I'll have progress pics . I was actually thinking about semi-gloss black with old-school Von Dutch pinstripes , like daddy's car , but I may actually do it original , but we'll see ...

I've still got my old Lemon Peeler to restore , but this will come first .

Maybe it's just me, but I think flat black with red steelies and dog dishes with the Von Dutch treatment would be cool! Maybe faux Harley-style pinched exhaust tips, too:cool:

Back