• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My custom made Y-Pipe and exhaust

Brokendown

CEG'er
I made this many, many months ago and just got around to posting pictures up...

I went from a custom Y-pipe to a Dynomax muffler I bought off of my friend straight to a side exit exhaust underneath the body, right before the skirt. Then I switched out the Dynomax muffler (which was backwards and he told me that long after) with a Magnaflow muffler (didn't change the sound AT ALL). Then I decided to put in the Magnaflow muffler as a resonator with the two Dynomax mufflers at the back and then weld on some pipe and tips, but I hated the sound before I even put tips on so I scrapped that idea and just welded back on the stock mufflers with my custom Y-Pipe and no resonator. I am going to change it again with two round body Magnaflow mufflers, in line with each other and just have a single exit exhaust.

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

That is the Y-Pipe I made. I don't have a sensor location of the lower O2 sensor so I just unplugged it, but I would like to put in bung for it in the near future.

0810091413a.jpg

This is the last system before I decided just to re weld the mufflers back on and go without any resonator. BAD decision, sounds like crap.

As for power gains I have no idea because my IMRC wasn't working at the time and it was running like crap so there really wasn't anything to compare it to. So yeah, just thought I would post those pictures up. Sorry no pictures of the side pipe, I thought I had one but it must have gotten deleted.

I just don't know bout any of this... If you have the time and tools why not try it out though :laugh:.

I just don't know bout any of this... If you have the time and tools why not try it out though :laugh:.

Yeah...My cats were pretty clogged because the engine had a hard time coming down after any kind of rev or anything, so I was just going to gut the uppers and get rid of the lower but after looking at that Y-Pipe, I decided I wanted to redo it because I hated the way it took that sharp bend off the manifold.

I went ahead and just bought a couple U bends from summit and some straight pipe and just started welding away. Some of the welds are questionable, I know, but I went through and ground them down and cleaned them up.

But like I said, I am going to redo it here sometime now that my 3L swap is almost done so we will see what happens...

But like I said, I am going to redo it here sometime now that my 3L swap is almost done so we will see what happens...
if you have the tools etc... why not go the whole nine yards and make a true dual setup ? ...G.

Looks like a good start, but you need to add a flexible joint near the y-pipe. If you don't you'll end up with nasty exhaust leaks. My 2 cents.

Gorman: I understand the the benefit of a true duals set up, but the weight of such a system is DOUBLE the weight of a single exhaust. I know it is minimal but really it is just my thought. The gains aren't that much for me to justify doubling the weight. In all honesty though, I might just add in an inline Magnaflow muffler to act as a resonator and then leave it how it is. Then make just a true dual straight pipe exhaust that just dumps right behind the front wheels for race days. I can take off the exhaust in about 5 minutes so that really isn't an issue. Plus I want a relatively quiet exhaust for everyday so we will see what happens.

tsSVT: Yeah I do. Before my car died I could hear an exhaust leak. When I took my old one apart though, I didn't see one so I figured it would be OK without one but I definitely guessed wrong...

Gorman: I understand the the benefit of a true duals set up, but the weight of such a system is DOUBLE the weight of a single exhaust. I know it is minimal but really it is just my thought. The gains aren't that much for me to justify doubling the weight. In all honesty though, I might just add in an inline Magnaflow muffler to act as a resonator and then leave it how it is. Then make just a true dual straight pipe exhaust that just dumps right behind the front wheels for race days. I can take off the exhaust in about 5 minutes so that really isn't an issue. Plus I want a relatively quiet exhaust for everyday so we will see what happens.

tsSVT: Yeah I do. Before my car died I could hear an exhaust leak. When I took my old one apart though, I didn't see one so I figured it would be OK without one but I definitely guessed wrong...

Well first off...the pipes seems to vary in size as they are connected to new parts by the welds i see. The welds look spotty..but the main concern is what weld wire did you use? What mixture did you use?

Also you do have a flex system on your car. It is the flex flange that uses a doughnut gasket in between your y-pipe and your cat pipe connection. You will crack the stock manifolds! And they will crack right at the flange! Either that or you welds will break. Something is going to absorb that punishment of the engine rocking back and for.

Also the muffler up close :). Me likes, it will def reduce rasp and drone!!! Compared to having in back. Now the rear split, why didn't you buy a splitter a v-split like you had.

My true duals ful SS with cats, resonators and 2 mufflers were 20 lbs more then stock. So don't worry about doing true duals because of weight issues.

Yes my welds aren't really the best. I used ER70S-6 wire that is .020. They don't really vary in size they just aren't the straightest. The way I had to fabricate it was sucky because I couldn't just mount it up and work my way back. The new one will be a lot better, plus I really rushed this one. Once I post pictures of the new one you guys will like it. True Duals also cost a lot more than what I want to do. So yeah we will see...

Yes my welds aren't really the best. I used ER70S-6 wire that is .020. They don't really vary in size they just aren't the straightest. The way I had to fabricate it was sucky because I couldn't just mount it up and work my way back. The new one will be a lot better, plus I really rushed this one. Once I post pictures of the new one you guys will like it. True Duals also cost a lot more than what I want to do. So yeah we will see...

.020 is fine. What gas did you use?

Yes true duals will run you more money. If you are seriously interested i can help you find the parts needed and cheap :)

Till then stay with what you have and and learn what to do next time. Overall the concept is there.:cool:

Def post a sound clip when you install it.

I think the gas I used was 75 Argon 25 CO2.

Yeah I was thinking about last night and I really don't want to spend much more money on my exhaust, so I think I am just going to get a resonator and flex pipe, put that into my system now.

Then for AutoX days I will put on a dual straight pipe setup that is really short and just dumps out right behind the front wheels.

That first system I had built was the first exhaust I had ever fabricated so I know what I need to change to make it easier.

Either turn down you wire speed or turn up your voltage. Those welds look like pigeon crap

Last edited:
Either turn down you wire speed or turn up your voltage. Those welds look like pigeon crap

LOL I have to turn down my wire speed and make nice joints. Almost all those joints weren't mated up right so I did a lot of filling. I really rushed through it though which is what I didn't want to do but going through so many changes and stuff and not really having much time I had to get it done quick. Like I said with the next system I make, I actually want to take my time and do everything right, and make my welds a little nicer. Although, like I said before, I did go through and actually grind down a lot of the welds and rewelded some of it so they look a lot better now.

Back