• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mustang exhaust

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
A buddy of mine with several SHO's has mentioned that a common mod to the SHO is to put stock Mustang GT mufflers on. He says they sound pretty good. Just looking for thoughts. I may try it.

A buddy of mine with several SHO's has mentioned that a common mod to the SHO is to put stock Mustang GT mufflers on. He says they sound pretty good. Just looking for thoughts. I may try it.

Stock mufflers? Year etc?

The SHO needs more help in the exhaust dept than just mufflers, the whole damn thing from the headers back is a travesty in stock form... And the CSVT is a completely different car than the SHO so the bigger mufflers might actually hurt performance.

Also the year of stang would be great...

I would have thought any SHO guy interested in exhaust work would have done it years ago before the 05 Mustang was even on the showroom floor.

i wouldnt call it a common mod,i remember the topic first coming up just last summer/fall. and i've only seen one person on shoforum do it. it does sound pretty good though.

I would have thought any SHO guy interested in exhaust work would have done it years ago before the 05 Mustang was even on the showroom floor.

Cost and the fact that stock catback is basically indestructible means that there are alot of SHOs on the road that still have the stock exhaust(mine included). That said, I would not use 05 GT mufflers for the contour. Too big for the app IMO. Pick up a set of Summit mufflers. They are cheap, they flow well and you can pick the size that is perfect for what you need.

People dont normally do exhaust work because of damage though. They do it because they want better flow and/or more noise which is why a lot of SHO guys would have done it already.

Many SHO guys I know don't want to spend the $500 on a catback that honestly won't make that much of a power gain. The big bottleneck is on the Y pipes on the MTX cars which has a really BAD 90 degree bend and that is usually replaced. The ATX pipe was much better from the factory. There was one clip I heard where a guy had a shop do a custom true dual equal length exhaust and omfg did it sound amazing...

Back