• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Memphis question

Silver Bullet

CEG'er
Recently I drove a car back from Ohio and passed through Memphis for the first time. Memphis is a bustling city with a very built up downtown and riverfront area. Looks like no open land anywhere until you cross the bridge into Arkansas and then "bam" nothing. And I mean nothing, not a single building, house or business. No docks or piers on the river either. Only open land for miles and miles. Must be a good reason for this.

Also why is the Southeast the only branch not to list all states?
Instead of "etc." why not add MS and AL? I'm assuming those states are included in your branch as not listed anywhere else.

Only noticed as I was searching for the correct branch to post this thread.

lol never really thought about it but ya the few times i have been thru there going back to Tx there really is nothing in arkansas around that area.

You know why there is only open land and no buildings.. Because no one wants to love there.:laugh:

i didn't see this before or i would have posted....i was born and grew up in memphis,and currently live in a suburb of memphis....i am a fedex driver and we cover a large part of northeast arkansas,and i run those routes quite a bit...

farming is still HUGE in NE Arkansas....they grow lots of rice,tobacco,corn etc....really between memphis and little rock,there's not much else but farming,and related going on......there's not really a town in between that has anything bigger than strip malls,and walmarts,as far as commercial bldgs....just over the river from memphis is west memphis/marion which in reality are nothing more than suburbs of memphis,and together is the biggest town between Mem and L. Rock....alot of people in w memphis/marion,and alot of the other smaller towns work in memphis...

although i don't really know all the details about this,besides the farms that are harvesting crops, there are large areas where the land owners are paid by the government NOT to HARVEST any crops......the owners generally grow rice really tall and use the land for duck hunting....hunting and fishing are also big in NE Ark.....there are lots of hunting lodges as well...Ted Turner owns about a 20 sq. mile area just north of forrest city ark in colt,and has a huge hunting lodge there....

in most of the small towns though there are the few rich that own everything,and the rest are left to pretty much fight over what's left,and what few good jobs that are available...

Back