• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Magnaflow?

CRGkart44

Is Cruising For A Bruising
Im just starding to upgrade my 1999 SE V6. I figured i would start with the exhaust.

My plan is to cut the resonator out and fit it with a straight pipe. then i plan on making it a dual exhaust with the SVT exhaust pattern and fit it with two Magnaflow 12866's.

Would that work at all or is it just a bad idea:shrug:. Also, what is the stock diameter for the SE exhaust. Is it 2.25 or 2.5?

Bad idea, it would work ,but it is just not really worth the money. Try to find a used SVT exhaust instead.

SE exhaust is 2".

the money isnt really an issue. its going to cost me less than $200 because im going to make the pipe my self... except the mufflers of course. then every thing is new and i don have to worry about the used SVT res or muffler blowing out or something stupid.

BTW.. thank you for the size.

Still, you can probably find the SVT exhaust for less than $100. AFAIK the SVT has mandrel bends, yours wont. Also, the SVT mufflers are pretty durable and flow decent - no real need to be replaced. Finally its an easy bolt on with just the addition of hanger for the passenger side muffler.

Whether replacing/removing the resonator is worthwhile or not is debatable. Plenty of info on this site.

I have the machineary, knowldge, and/or resources to make my own exhaust. my question would be why buy a used stock exhaust when i can have a new custom magnaflow exhaust. what would be the advantage?
I guess my first question was mistated: Would the Magnaflow 12866s be a bad muffler for the car with out a resonator or is there a better muffler within the same price range?

I'm sure you can build a better exhaust, but it turns out to be a cost thing IMO. The SVT exhaust is 2.25" mandrel SS and is all your SE would really need. Also the SVT mufflers flow enough that they are not a restriction from what I've read here.
The biggest gains in the factory exhaust are headers, Y-pipe and resonator.
I built my exhaust the way I did because I wanted to change exhaust tips so using race mufflers/resonators with new tips in the rear and a muffler in place of the resonator was the best option for me.
Running w/o a resonator would be a risk for having rasp but you could always try it and then add one if you didn't like it.
-J

Like i said previously. The money isnt an issue. Its going to be less than $200 for me to do brand new. Which to me is better than 100ish for a used exhaust. With new i get warrantys and whatnot.

Its seems that a lot of people here run with ot the resonator. So to someone whithout it, how raspy is it? It shouldnt be too bad is a lot of pple do it, right? Plus you should get a little better power off the line and at WOT without the res.

I personally wouldn't run without one. I was in the same position as you and you can read about the exhaust I designed for mine---I'm very happy.
-J

the rasp part depends on what u consider raspy. I run no red on my car and unless the engine is cold I don't believe I have rasp. Or atleast enough for me to say don't go my route. I have had my system for about 4 years and have had nothing but complaments on how it sounds. It's the facotory exhaust. Red delete and magniflow mufflers ( I would have to hunt down the part number). I will get a sound clip of mine to add to the sticky for u to make up your mind

Last edited:
Back