• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Magnaflow or Borla Muffler?

enduro

CEG'er
I will be putting a 14 x 9 x 5 oval muffler(offset - center, 2.5" in/out) in place of the Magnaflow 10435 resonator on my system.

Anyhow, my choices are either a Borla Pro XS or a magnaflow stainless. The magnaflow is $40 - $50 cheaper but the Borla has a lifetime guarantee.

Would there be much of a sound quality/ noise difference between the two choices?

I will be putting a 14 x 9 x 5 oval muffler(offset - center, 2.5" in/out) in place of the Magnaflow 10435 resonator on my system.

Anyhow, my choices are either a Borla Pro XS or a magnaflow stainless. The magnaflow is $40 - $50 cheaper but the Borla has a lifetime guarantee.

Would there be much of a sound quality/ noise difference between the two choices?

I though it wasnt worth putting on magnaflows. I would recommend trying to find a used SVT exhaust. I believe there is one in the classifieds for about 75 bones.

"Also, the SVT mufflers are pretty durable and flow decent"

I'm not replacing the rear SVT mufflers, only the useless(on my setup) magnaflow resonator on my system.

I love the Borlas as great street mufflers...wickednicky.com (I think thats close) is who I used the last 2 times I bought Borlas, defintely the cheapest.
But to be honest I doubt there will be much difference in sound if you're keeping the rear SVT mufflers, so the cheaper Magnaflow might be the way to go.
I think you'll be good either way, but like I mentioned before, you *may* have to remove the underbody heat shield.
-J

Borla was going to be my first choice for exhaust choice but do to the price, my cheap A$$ decided to go Bosal to be different.

For what it's worth, the magnaflow are not as loud as the borla. The SS magnaflow will last a long friggin time.

Good choice with the Magnaflow

You will like the Magnaflow but I don't see how a single muffler was that much cheaper. If you lookked at the site I mentioned, the ProXS SS Borlas used to be just over $60 :shrug:
-J

The Borla xs was about $75 USD at Wicked Nickys . The Magnaflow I bought was $76 CAN. So , with current exchange rates the Borla was already $25 more. Add to that another $20 - 30 USD for shipping, $8 customs fee and more than likely a brokerage fee of $15 -20 unless its shipped by USPS.

Anyhow, Borla would be minimum $50 more. but more than likely would have been closer to $70

IIRC Magnaflow stainless mufflers have a lifetime warranty too. At least they did on the Magnaflow kit my bud put on his 04 Mustang GT. At any rate, the Magnaflows are just as good material and quality wise as the Borlas. Borla just has a great reputation and they do have some pretty wicked sounding products.

I love the sound of a Trubendz Borla exhaust system. Gives an SVT such a good sound. Borla all the way.

I'd also take a look at Dynomax while you are at it. Their Ultraflow mufflers are also a fully stainless straight through design just like the Magnaflows and Borlas. They sound similar to Magnaflows but you can tell the difference. Very badass sounding mufflers, I have an Ultraflow catback on my Cobra and that thing rumbles. Then again it is a built V8 with a full longtube exhaust...

If you havent already, find my thread about my exhaust. it uses 2 Aero Turbine mufflers. even without a resonator it sounds awesome. if you added a res. it would reduce/eliminate the cold rasp you hear in one of the videos.

Back