• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MAF Sensor Screen - Don't Remove It !!!

crewchiefpro

Hard-core CEG'er
Well we found out something interesting. We replaced the cracked MAF adapter and didn't see the need for the screen so we took it out. Guess what, it ran like crap.

Brett found a web site from a retired Ford Engineer that had an article on how important the SCREEN is that covers the MAF Sensor. I could not believe the screen was the issue but he published an article on it and sure enough, when we reinstalled it the car ran perfect again.

I am still amazed that a little screen could have that much affect, but he was correct.

It is there for a purpose...

guessing its to slow down the air, as well as filter and help the sensor read whats coming in so the computer knows the right amount of fuel to mix in.. so if there was a LITTLE to much air coming in, then it causes problems and tends to run poorly....

just my .02 cents, could be wrong, but its what i think...:shrug:

--Drew

I remember when I ordered my MAF adapter from BAT, I almost didn't order a screen, but decided, why not, it's only a few bucks. Glad I did. This was a big discussion a few years ago. It is crazy how that little piece of screen can have such a huge impact on drivability.

still find it interesting that with a KKM filter and no screen I didn't notice any driveability issues with my SVT. but now I have a stock airbox on it and am using the screen.

still find it interesting that with a KKM filter and no screen I didn't notice any driveability issues with my SVT. but now I have a stock airbox on it and am using the screen.

On a NA motor...you won't notice a difference in drive ability issues. Unless the stock tune is barely withing good range.. But seeing a dialed in tune on any FI or Nitrous application the meter is very vital at reading the correct air mass as it passes by. If not...then the car will/would drive like crap. Because the air passing by won't be consistent each time(as the sensor is reading it)

Interesting, wonder what adding the screen after having the vehicle tuned would do to the tune/drivability?

On a NA motor...you won't notice a difference in drive ability issues. Unless the stock tune is barely withing good range.. But seeing a dialed in tune on any FI or Nitrous application the meter is very vital at reading the correct air mass as it passes by. If not...then the car will/would drive like crap. Because the air passing by won't be consistent each time(as the sensor is reading it)

Won't matter on nitrous unless you are spraying a dry shot pre-maf. It for sure does make a huge difference in FI applications though especially when it's blow through instead of draw through (not sure what FI guys on Contour's usually run in their kits).

Won't matter on nitrous unless you are spraying a dry shot pre-maf.

Regardless if it is wet or dry kit..if the screen is not existing you run A VERY HIGH RISK. Because your tables will not be accurate. I do not recommend running without a screen. On any FI or nitrous application.:cool:

An old joke on the Mazda boards was telling new guys to make sure they had a clean MAF and a screen in place. Sometimes they'd ask where it was and the funnier ones would just go ahead and say they had already checked them out.

So heres a question... did the newer SVT Lightning's with the 90mm MAF's have a screen? As that is what I am using in my build and I do not have a screen for it. I'm guessing if it had one it would have been integrated into the air box...

any idea?

I removed my screen shortly after I bought it with no problems! What you have to to is seal the air leak that the rubber seal on the screen seals after removal. I did that and no problems. I don't know why Ford put it there but I think it was to keep "stuff" from entering the engine. The engine will run without an air filter in place so the reason for the screen.
Ford had been putting this screen on their engines for years! I had one on my 1986 Mustang and removed it with no problems. I had a 1993 Mustang and a 1992 and I removed it as well.

It may be a factor in how the air passes through the Mass Air meter but since the computer can adjust over time it can change it's tune to the fact of no screen.

I removed my screen shortly after I bought it with no problems! What you have to to is seal the air leak that the rubber seal on the screen seals after removal. I did that and no problems. I don't know why Ford put it there but I think it was to keep "stuff" from entering the engine. The engine will run without an air filter in place so the reason for the screen.
Ford had been putting this screen on their engines for years! I had one on my 1986 Mustang and removed it with no problems. I had a 1993 Mustang and a 1992 and I removed it as well.

It may be a factor in how the air passes through the Mass Air meter but since the computer can adjust over time it can change it's tune to the fact of no screen.

It is not a filter, the Ford engineer posted that it is designed to straighten airflow around the heated wire. Removing it will cause incorrect MAF readings. I can tell you that on our Contours it will make a difference.

Auto companies don't spend money on parts unless there is a reason...

:nonono::nonono: It can not adjust like your claiming. Very minimal amounts of change occurs.

Auto companies don't spend money on parts unless there is a reason...

So very true. Money doesn't grow on trees, and if they can build the car for a lower cost they can offer it to the end user at a lower price and still retain there margins.

I've removed the screens on my Cobra SVT and Contour SVT with no ill effects at all. Did it when I put the CAIs on. I'm just saying that I noticed no difference but your mileage may vary.

I've removed the screens on my Cobra SVT and Contour SVT with no ill effects at all. Did it when I put the CAIs on. I'm just saying that I noticed no difference but your mileage may vary.

My car wouldn't hold an idle without the screen installed, it wasn't just a little difference in mileage, it was night and day.

Back