• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Low RPM squeak from engine

Jbalch

CEG'er
I have a slight squeak at low RPM. It is only when I lightly touch the gas while the RPMs climb and fall. Like in the 800-1200 range... I can hear it more in the car with windows down then when I'm under the hood and tapping the throttle. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be an exhaust leak since I just swapped out my Y pipe a couple weeks ago... Though it didn't start at the same time but it could be exhaust... Just want to make sure it doesn't sound like anything catastrophic. Sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine area on the passenger side.

Any thoughts?

I had the same thing recently. It just needed a new serpentine belt.

The belt looked perfect with no cracks or dry rot and was nearly identical in thickness with the new belt. Swapped the belt and the noise stopped immediately. It was also slipping when enough water hit it while driving.

I just noticed mine slip when enough water hits it... I really notice while turning. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, it really caught me off guard while I was coming through a curve on the highway. I grabbed the steering wheel so fast with my other hand and didn't let go until I got off the highway.

As Ricky mentioned, check the pulleys. Is it coming from the passenger's side of the engine? Mine was doing what started as a whistle sound, that was steady and followed the speed of the engine. I thought it was my idler pulley so I got a new one, and on the drive to where I was going to work on it (3 weeks later) the whistling continued but I was now also get a squealing that went away above around 1,200 RPM. I got 10 minutes from where my destination and alternator locked up, tore the idler pulley to pieces, and destroyed the belt. I ended up replacing the alternator, idler pulley, tensioner and pulley, and belt. All is good now.

Back