• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Legal or Illegal?

if its just a tiny light I doubt you would ever have a problem no matter where you are.. As long as it isnt putting out so much light it makes everyone in the car glow pink. Otherwise cops would be pulling you over for your cell phone chargers and the like. Mine has a little red led on it. I see bluetooth headsets sometimes to that have blue leds on them.... and its not illegal to drive with that, and those are visible through the window, you know since the drivers head is up there. Besides a little light would probably not be noticable anyways with the rest of your dash lights

Having any sort of lighting on while driving is illegal, at least in michigan. Dome lights, accent lights, interior lights, neons, all illegal while driving.

so you can use that as your excuse for speeding at night, right? "Sorry officer, since it is illegal to have my interior dash lights on in this state, I had no idea how fast I was going. I was trying to not break the law...." :laugh:

I'm talking like under dash neon or something. Brightest light on my car is the fog light indicator, stripped of the green and tinted red by sharpie :D

So my gf bought an air freshener today, those kind that you stick it in the 12V CigLighter. It lights up with a LED PINK, so I was wondering if is it illegal for her to drive with that PINK LIGHT at night???

It depends on the state you live in, or rather, the state the car is registered in. I would suggest looking on your state government website and doing a search for vehicle regulations or something like that. I had to do something similar to look up the michigan window tinting laws. But seeing as it is a small pink LED, I wouldn't think you would have a problem, but it's always better to double check.

Back