• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knuckle play

sergiovbriones

Veteran CEG'er
Can somebody tell me why my drivers side knuckle has a lot of play. Even the rotor is kind of loose. I went to get it aligned and they said they couldn't get that side correct. My brake pad is scraping only a small part of the rotor, and my wheel looks all crooked. What could be the problem.
I know nothing of suspension.
I recently installed my 3.0 and swaped in new cv axles. I did noticed that the lower ball joints were shot, but didn't change them because I was never able to remove the stock ones, because I didn't have a drill.

Considering the main attachment points are ball joints and pinch bolts on the struts (also tie rods and sway bar end links) yeah I would change the ball joints, while you're in there check for excessive play on the tie rod ends.

Then you can kiss your wheel bearings goodbye. The center nut MUST be pulled up to correct torque, the structural integrity of the entire hub/axle/bearing/knuckle assembly depends upon it.

this same thing happened to me as well, my bearings where so shot that it dug out part of hole that the control arm attaches to spindel, so after putting in new control arms the car would pull to the side really bad, after putting in a new spindle everything was fine, you may wanna check that part to see if its loose.

this same thing happened to me as well, my bearings where so shot that it dug out part of hole that the control arm attaches to spindel, so after putting in new control arms the car would pull to the side really bad, after putting in a new spindle everything was fine, you may wanna check that part to see if its loose.
Which part is the spindle? Is it the whole knuckle?
thanks bro!

yup thats what I meant sorry the knuckle, like I said if your bearings are shot and you drive with it like that for awhile it will wear out the part where the ball joint connects to knuckle.

With nut not tight the axle wobbles in hub to destroy the splines, hub wobbles further inside bearing. Can cause loss of all 3 parts quick. Bearing then seizing inside knuckle takes it out too. The bearing is constructed of two sets of balls simply barely snapped into the outside casing. The nut torqued up properly forces all axial play out so that bearing mainly loaded in radial direction as intended.

Back