• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

knock sensor location - photo?

CKtour98

Hard-core CEG'er
im down to my knock sensor plug, but dont see anything on the rear portion of the block for it. anyone have a photo of it so i can see?

if i have nothing, i can run without one right? since its not there i assume it never was and the motors ran in the previous car for years...heres a pic of the area i think it should be?

262839_10150752216570724_655925723_20354905_4770766_n.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

The sensor is on the rear of the block just to the left side of the exhaust manifold about 2-3 inches lower.

IMAG0294.jpg

you don't need the knock sensor for the car to run. If the photo is from your car you do not have a knock sensor installed.

also from what has been determined previsouly all SVTs should have a knock sensor. many 99 non-SVT cars do not have them nor have the wiring for the knock sensor.

What is on that knock sensor? Looks like some kind of heat shield wrap... is that factory? As my car never had that.

On another note it's kind of funny as you have the same picture as what is in the Ford service manual CD. Except with your picture you can actually tell what is what... in the service manual if you didn't know what you were looking at it would be just a bunch of lines and then the sensor in the middle well and you can tell there is a nut and threads there too (exhaust flange) :laugh:

knocksensorloc.jpg

Last edited:
I've had two different experiences now with engine swaps in Cougars where I've been putting an engine that came from a return style car into a returnless style car. In both instances the original engines from the returnless cars had knock sensors, while the engines from the return style cars did not. The threaded hole in the block on the returnless engines were smaller as well, requiring the use of an adapter or relocation on the return engine.

interesting, my car (contour and the coug, which where for all reasonable purposes identical) didnt have a knock sensor, and where return style. the 3.0's both came with knock sensors, so I just left them there and then tucked the wire on it up and away.

wish I knew why they decided not to put knock sensors on some of the cars, I mean obviously to pinch pennies, but it seems like a pretty important thing to have in the event of a misfire or detonation, does it not???

Back