• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just wondering what makes cross drilled and slotted rotors better?

i bought a set of cross drilled slotted and vented rotors and was wondering what makes them better than just vented besides looking more sporty and high performance?

Cross Drilling - Designed to vent gas buildup from older and specialty compound organic brake pads.

Slots - Designed to guide remove brake dust buildup and clean the pad surface.

Disadvantages - Cannot turn the rotors if they warp, and cross drilled holes create stress concentrations that can cause cracks.

Why are they bad? As far as I know the disperse heat better keeping brake temps down
Nope they will actually overheat more easily as there is less metal to absorb the heat. There is no point for them on our cars. Not to mention, they will warp sooner and crack easier.

You're my boy blu, you're my boy . . .

And just to be clear, my preferences are:

For a street car, I wouldn't bother spending the money for anything but a plain faced rotor.
autoX - still plain faced
Open track, still plain faced, but might consider slotted in a few cases, assumin cost increase is very minimal
competitive race car - prefer slotted, plain would be ok too, but not drilled

You're my boy blu, you're my boy . . .

And just to be clear, my preferences are:

For a street car, I wouldn't bother spending the money for anything but a plain faced rotor.
autoX - still plain faced
Open track, still plain faced, but might consider slotted in a few cases, assumin cost increase is very minimal
competitive race car - prefer slotted, plain would be ok too, but not drilled

damn, evrybody beat me too it...

for what it matters, EBC and power slot make good slotted rotors, stay away from cheapo brake parts. my friends track mustang cracked a ton of rotors before he listened to me. he actually went with brembo solid blanks, also a great rotor...

Back