• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is there a how to on removing air box /replacing with K&N?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
Just want to know if there is a how-to or some brief instruction on how to remove the old air box, and mount the K&N filter + adapator to your system...

Just want to know if there is a how-to or some brief instruction on how to remove the old air box, and mount the K&N filter + adapator to your system...

It's really pretty easy if you look at it for a minute.

Heres your brief instruction if you have problems:

-Remove the air filter and holder.

-Remove the four bolts mouting the rest of the air cleaner housing to the MAF.

-Bolt on the MAF adaptor plate to the holes that held the air cleaner housing.

-Install the K&N filter to the adaptor plate.

-Tighten the hose clamp around the base of the K&N filter.

Your done, enjoy the new sound of your whistling intake.

Make sure to keep tightening the K&N. It looks like it won't fit at first, but trust us, it will if you keep tightening the clamp around the MAF. And yes, the sound is awesome.:laugh: Good luck

how do you reset your computer, do you just take off the battery cable, and wait like 20 minutes and when you put it back on it resets? i belive someone told me to do that once before...

Typically you disconnect the battery for 5min. This gives the ECU time to deplete it's stored charge... or atleast this was what I've been told in the past for my 94 SHO, I would assume most newer cars are no different.

remove the PCM fuses.

Pulling the battery WILL work, but you also lose stored radio stations, clock settings, etc. If you don't mind, then pull it.

If you do, then pull the PCM fuses (11, and 9, or 11, and 6 (a 3A and a 20A) in the engine bay fuse box.

Last edited:
remove the PCM fuses.

Pulling the battery WILL work, but you also lose stored radio stations, clock settings, etc. If you don't mind, then pull it.

If you do, then pull the PCM fuses (11, and 9, or 11, and 6 (a 3A and a 20A) in the engine bay fuse box.

Why both? I've always pulled just the 3a and reset it. What is the 20a for? I never checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always pulled both, but now that I think about it, it's cause Ray told me how to reset it a few years ago by pulling both.:laugh: Since it worked, I never questioned it.

I've always pulled both, but now that I think about it, it's cause Ray told me how to reset it a few years ago by pulling both.:laugh: Since it worked, I never questioned it.

Because
F11, early production vehicles at 3A feeds the PCM via pin 55.
whereas in late production vehicles F6 at 3A, feeds the PCM via pin 55.

F9, EARLY production vehicles at 20A feeds the PCM power relay at pin 54
F11, late production vehicles at 20A feeds the PCM power relay at pin 54
To toss another kink in it, even LATER production vehicles can feed the PCM power relay via fuse 41!

So.. to clear the PCM of possible power paths, in early production vehicles
remove fuse F11(3a) and F9(20a)

OR

to clear the PCM of possible power paths, in late production vehicles
remove fuse F6(3a), and 11(20a)

Notice that F11 switches from the 3A PCM fuse to the 20A PCM power relay fuse in later vehicles, while the F6 or F9 picks up the remaining fuse slot (vehicle production dependant...)

There.. See how much easier it is to just say "remove the 20A and 3A fuses, either 11 and 6, or 11 and 9"
:D :D :D :D

Back