• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior Neon Light

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
Does anyone know if interior neon light is legal in california? I have two in the front under where the dashboard where the driver and passenger's lap and two more under drive/passenger's seat. So would it be legal or illegal to have then on while driving?

I would think not-- Only on the exterior.. I mean, how many cops drive by and can see inside your car around your feet? I used to have them, but both of the lights burnt out or got kicked by the passenger, oh well

i see ... yeah almost the same thing here .... mine keep on falling of cuz is double sided tape on and people keep on kicking it and kind of piss me off have to take off the old tape and put new one on

I agree- I had mine on zip ties... If I would have used super-glue in the first place I probably could have put them in a more efficient and protected spot-- Now I can't find the 7" thin neon blue tubes anywhere... Oh well

Neons are so 1990's. :laugh:
It's all about LED!

kw, try google... I'm sure this has been discussed before, on some part of the internet for Cali.

I know here in Michigan you cannot have *any* interior light on while driving. Including map lights. Stupid, but I guess its a law for a reason. :shrug:

basicly what I know is most state is illegal because the cop think is somehow distracting. But when it comes to a LCD screen in the rear is not. So stupid

Probably because the people in the back seat are not driving.. :shrug::crazy:

I had them in a past life (pre-Contour) and they were very distracting at first. I eventually got used to them, but overall, I wouldn't do it again. It always effected how I saw my environment and because of that, I removed them. It had nothing to do with how many times I was told to remove them by the cops.

Did you had a switch for it? cuz for me i have a switch for it and i don't think mine are pretty bright at all so is not distracting at all. I'm still not sure if they're illegal to have here in cali, but I always play it safe and turn it off when there's a 5-0 around.

Back