• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installing Suede Top HELP!!!

Harrry

Addicted CEG'er
My friend is installing a suede material in the ceiling of his trail blazer. He attempted at doing this on his own. What he used is spray adhesive and suede. He ended up have alot of wrinkles and tearing it from him pulling on it to hard. :blackeye:

Any help before i tackle this job for him would be any help.

I assume a heat gun with spray adhesive with a good strong card/wood trim to help pull out the wrinkles would be best. Is there a better way, if so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Now you're ready for material... lay it out and test fit leaving about 4 - 5 inches off each end. Trim any excess for it will only get in the way, but be sure to leave the 4 to 5 inches for curvature and so forth.
*** You will want to start in the middle and work toward one end first - this will cut down on any wrinkling etc (because of the corners on the MKII).

**** Start right behind the sunroof and work back then forward later - small sections! Take your time or you will crease and be mad! Roll up the material to the half way point for the back half (like a sleeping bag).

Apply glue in two - to - three direction on headliner, and apply some glue to the first section of actual material being applied (BE SURE TO APPLY ENOUGH GLUE TO VERY EDGE OF HEADLINER). I did the first three ridges and sides. Once glue had time to set - about three minutes, you will want to start in the middle and work your way outwards SLOWLY!

Glide your hands across being sure headliner finds it's home in the creases and makes the bends for the sides... be very particular with the sides so headliner doesn't bunch up. If you take your time no bunching should occur.

***** The next section I did was the inner part of the back three slats. I did the outer rim after this. I wanted to make sure there was a very good bond before I started to shape the material for the corners! Repeat glue application from last step - work slowly!

Once complete and let sit for a couple minutes - repeat glue application step and finish one side in back then the other side - taking your time and stretching material before pressing into corners so it will seize back into it's home... a little tricky - but I'm a beginner and it worked out perfectly. Finish with the very back and move onto front! WHEW ALMOST THERE

Now time for the front - start in small steps, do the two sides of the sunroof first or this general area for cars without sunroof. Be extremely careful not to push to hard when applying material as to not break the actual headliner - VERY FRAGILE!

Next you will want to do the small section up to the front crease. And last the very front lip and legs - being sure to apply lots of glue and allowing ample time to setup. Use your fingers and almost like scratching someones back, you will use this technique to work material into the definitions of the headliner. Make sure to pull material around legs so it will cover nicely

Now I'm getting tired of writing this so here's the short and sweet... With the material now on and allowing plenty of time for it to setup you are ready to trim excess... Trim down but allowing about a half inch around the actual headliner - this is so you can apply glue to back and stretch material around to get that sweet edge everyone loves... Work in sections and cut slits to work in corners...

Now that you have the edges wrapped you are ready to trim for the sunroof. Poke a hole and get cutting. Leave some material around the sunroof area because this will get tucked up and under during installation.

TADA - you're ready to put your headliner back in... lint roller works best to get any dirt off at this point...

****TIPS TO REMEMBER****
Don't use imitation glue - 3m is by far the best stuff out there!!!
Work in small sections
Start from CENTER - out
Start in middle and work toward ends
Cut more material than needed - can trim excess
When applying glue - apply to both headliner and material to create a bond, allow to setup before applying together
Use finger tips and rub entire area being applied
Stretch material when at corners with one hand and rub into place with the other
Best way to practice - GO DO IT!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this info on the vortex site. If anyone has anything to add please do.

Back