• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I noticed that MTX contacts subframe

Slim57

CEG'er
When I was replacing sway bar bushings on 1995 GL w Duratec. Previously I'd noticed what seemed like excessive engine vibration under acceleration, or other different engine load situations.

Contact is very obvious after driver side front wheel is removed, and subframe is viewed looking straight into the wheel well opening.

Moving inward toward vehicle centerline, I see what looks like engine mount in front and rear of engine, inboard of the subframe.

Can anyone suggest which mount or mounts most likely need replacement?

Thank you.

Oh, thank you. I guess that is the mount under the air cleaner, and battery. Factory manual makes mention of an alignment tool, is there anything to this?

Thank you again.

As far as aligning it, perhaps take a jack and gently put it under the trans so that way when you remove the mount it does not move much. it isn't as special as the book makes it seem. Good luck

No Title

I'm having trouble finding a replacement part. I removed the mount that is under the air cleaner housing, where the arrow is drawn in clearance is only about 1/8 inch - hard to tell if this one is really broken. The bracket in the bottom of the pic bolts to top of transaxle, on the far left end. Upper part of mount bolts to fender apron with three good size bolts.

It's hard to see in pix, but from the top view there are 4 tabs that are bent over a round cover. I suppose if those are bent back, there is an insert, but I have not found one anywhere. Has anyone ever located this part?

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo16111.JPG
    photo16111.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo16112.JPG
    photo16112.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
PS There are two mounts, maybe sometimes called roll restrictor, one in front of engine/trans, one in rear, the one in rear is visibly damaged, I can see through it. Do these roll restrictor mounts play any part in supporting the engine/trans? As mentioned above, the left bottom of trans is very near or in contact with subframe, no visible gap. It is also difficult to find listing for these. As mentioned my car is 1995, with 2.5L V6, 5 speed manual transmission. Thanks again.

(Untitled)

No. Those mounts only keep the engine/trans from rocking back and forth under load/unload. The mount under the air cleaner is the one causing your problem.

I have tried Summit Racing, Ford Dealer, Rock Auto and no go on a mount. Where are they available?

THX!
Lee

Back