• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i might have messed up

montrese04

Veteran CEG'er
mom blew the fiddy so i had another one sitting around and put it in. well when i went to drive car i only got 1st 3rd and 5th no 2nd 4th and reverse is it a cable problem or a gear issue?

i did bend a shift cable when taking the engine out:troutslap: bent it pretty good but not to where i couldnt get it back straight. so perhaps pulling on the cable pulled something else out of the shifter base. cuz i did find one of the cables had popped off the shifter base (one on the right side that's visible. so i will try and check the cables as thorough as possible

Look over the cable ends where they hook up to the shift tower. Maybe one of your plastic ends are broke or missing a bushing :ponder:.....

hadnt got to checking the cables yet but hopefully today stays sunny so i can. dont want i to get cold before i get this problem solved

ok so i checked all connecting points on the shift tower and on the shifter base, (EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED). So i was still only getting 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

So i decided to test something. The secondary cable that is on the outside of the shifter base (which is also the smaller cable connection on the shift tower). I unattached it and i was still able to shift into 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

So does this indicate that something in the cable is snapped or is there something messed up with the part that's attached to the shift tower. Also could something be wrong with the shift tower itself. it did come from a transmission that blew the diffy

so i took the old cable off and i will put the new one on in the morning.

FILE0012_zps0c993351.jpg

FILE0013_zps2c18c5e1.jpg

the cables on the left look broken the cables on the right need new collets. I have the white one but not the black one.

they are the newer revised cables, but like sam said, looks like they are broken. from what i read when i did this same swap, the newer cables had "better" ends, but the cable itself was none for breaking thus having to replace the whole cable. Whereas the older cables you could just replace the broken ends.

i just took the plastic/rubber out the one on the left and retrofitted it into the older cable. Im going to give this another try and get out here today and hook everything up.

ok so i do have all my gears now. it's a little stiff on the shifting but livable for now. i didn't get good ride time due to my rear passenger brake caliper had a bolt missing ( dont know how seeing as i haven't touch the rear brakes since i've owned the car for over 2 years )

so my lazy butt finally got around to getting another bolt for my rear brake caliper. Now that ive had plenty ride time Ive found out that im having issues.

i get all gears but reverse
shifting to third under heavy load/ high rpm is not possible (will shift if im driving normal tho)
also makes this toy wind up noise (cant tell if it's the trans or passenger side cv axle

any suggestions before i get frustrated and just go buy a transmission from the local junkyard or get a trans rebuilt

its getting cold and i disilike working in cold weather

Back