• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how long to wait after new paint to wax

RandyCSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I just got my trunk repainted and the top of my pass side fender repainted, and I am wondering how long I can wait to wax them.

I am happy cause the body shop gave me a great deal, but I am also upset because they buffed the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of it and left all kinds of swirls. I am sure a good detail can take it out, but I am wondering how long to wait.

I just got my trunk repainted and the top of my pass side fender repainted, and I am wondering how long I can wait to wax them.

I am happy cause the body shop gave me a great deal, but I am also upset because they buffed the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of it and left all kinds of swirls. I am sure a good detail can take it out, but I am wondering how long to wait.

let it sit a good 48Hrs..Since they probally used a Slow reducers i use fast reducers for fasting cureing time..and then your able to wash the car No pressure washer..and then coat in wax..

Edit just to let you know..if they were a good bodyshop they shouldnt have left swirls in it..I wet sand alot of Bentlys and such after i repair the scratch then just use a compound to remove the sand scratches and swirlmark to remove the swirls and Boom you will never know..

Last edited:
when my car was painted I was told 90 days .... the paint was still soft even then when I had a friend look at the car who does high speed polishing

when my car was painted I was told 90 days .... the paint was still soft even then when I had a friend look at the car who does high speed polishing

WOW..The work i do 24hrs and your good to roll
Randy i guess call them and see what they say..I wish you would have been closer i would have done the work for ya..

I appreciate the offer. Maybe I just need you to come over here and get rid of these swirls. I don't like the swirls, but I know they come out and currently look better than the chips and blemishes I used to have.

The dealership I went to is really nice. The guy originally quoted me a little over $200 to repaint the scratched corner of the trunk, reclear the entire trunk, and replace the badges on the trunk. He was $100 or more cheaper than the rest of the places I went to. When I set up the appointment to drop the car off I asked him if he could take care of some other blemishes on the top of the trunk lid and fix a chip in my pass side front fender. he said he would do it for an extra $75. When I went to pick the car up he had fixed the chip on the fender for free, repainted the entire trunk, and recleared the entire trunk for the original quoted price of a little over $200. He was a really nice guy and never charged me the extra $75. I don't want to go back and complain after he was kind enough to do free work for me.

I just double checked the paperwork and it says three months. Guess I'll just have to deal with it for a while.

I just double checked the paperwork and it says three months. Guess I'll just have to deal with it for a while.

Well there ya go..Next time you get a scratch call me man 125.00 for bumpers or per panal..And yes deals are made when more than one panal or bumper is done. and she will be like new..

let it sit a good 48Hrs..Since they probally used a Slow reducers i use fast reducers for fasting cureing time..and then your able to wash the car No pressure washer..and then coat in wax..

Edit just to let you know..if they were a good bodyshop they shouldnt have left swirls in it..I wet sand alot of Bentlys and such after i repair the scratch then just use a compound to remove the sand scratches and swirlmark to remove the swirls and Boom you will never know..
Just so you know fast reducers do nothing to speed up the cure times. Thats what the hardeners/activators do. Fast reducers merely "skim over" or flash off quicker. Usually at the incresed risk of solvent entrapment, dye back, and dullness of the final coat. Also, it can actually hinder the thru cure of the paint. That was a common problem I dealt with as a technical rep for PPG and Sherwin Williams. Painters always want it faster. Faster is not always better. Use the proper temp solvent for your spraying temps and your life will go much easier. I could write a book on all the bad things I've seen even seasoned painters doing incorrectly.
Speed kills both in driving and painting.

Jim T

I've always heard a month. Guess it doesn't hurt to wait a little longer. :shrug:

Just so you know fast reducers do nothing to speed up the cure times. Thats what the hardeners/activators do. Fast reducers merely "skim over" or flash off quicker. Usually at the incresed risk of solvent entrapment, dye back, and dullness of the final coat. Also, it can actually hinder the thru cure of the paint. That was a common problem I dealt with as a technical rep for PPG and Sherwin Williams. Painters always want it faster. Faster is not always better. Use the proper temp solvent for your spraying temps and your life will go much easier. I could write a book on all the bad things I've seen even seasoned painters doing incorrectly.
Speed kills both in driving and painting.

Jim T

I meant to bring up Hardners as well just slipped my mind..I use Matrix paint system..I prefer it over Sherwin..

Def don't listen to this guy! Wait 90 days, if you wax your car any sooner the wax itself will prevent the paint from breathing. I know the paint looks dry it feels dry but it's still not set 100% that why you have to wait the 90 days to let it harden. If you do wax it before your paint will crack everywhere, because the wax seals it in and does let it expand or breath so eventually it will crack.

Def don't listen to this guy! Wait 90 days, if you wax your car any sooner the wax itself will prevent the paint from breathing. I know the paint looks dry it feels dry but it's still not set 100% that why you have to wait the 90 days to let it harden. If you do wax it before your paint will crack everywhere, because the wax seals it in and does let it expand or breath so eventually it will crack.

You will listen to me if i were painting the car..I repair scratches everyday repaint bumpers Quater panals etc..And the customer is able to wax there car a few days after..Body shop will use a completely different method than what i do..I work outside so therefor need to use different products than a bodyshop will use..

You will listen to me if i were painting the car..I repair scratches everyday repaint bumpers Quater panals etc..And the customer is able to wax there car a few days after..Body shop will use a completely different method than what i do..I work outside so therefor need to use different products than a bodyshop will use..

It's a good thing that you'll never be painting anything that I own!

Back