• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

homemade cold air intake?

compudude86

CEG'er
Hello,
Has anyone come up with or used a homemade cold air intake? I've seen many of them on other sites, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck or headway with one for their duratec contour. I have also seen ones where people have put the "cone" in the bumper, but I'm wondering if that is a bad idea based on water/rain...

I think the svt intake is the best way to go with a k&n drop filter, i could be wrong it seems to be a cold air design already,all the intakes ive tested through out the years with different cars the stock air box with k&n drop filter seems to feel the best but just my opinion,and i read some where cold air intake is the same temp as short ram when driving,only difference is at idle but i coud be wrong just read it in a magazine a long time ago and i doubt there will be a hp difference with stock svt air box with k&n filter vs cold air intake

I have a custom setup that I like a lot on my Cougar, the most expensive piece was the huge filter I bought from Green, color matched to my car. http://www.greenfilterusa.com/
The hardest part of building your own is finding appropriate hoses and pipes to do exactly what you want. Only do this if your doing it for the fun of it. If you just want to be sure youve got good air flow, a drop in K&N is perfectly adequate, or a kit from NPG is generally accepted to be the best setup available as a kit, and yes, it sucks air from the bumper area.
http://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/i26.html

Yes, this is more of a fun thing, but I'm OCD about intake resonators/other restrictions, and small intake snorkels not pulling enough air. Id maybe think of using a $1 black plastic wastebasket (like the small office ones) and cutting the one wide side off of it and using it as a shield and having a pipe run up into it from the bottom to bring it cold air. Idk, just playing around with ideas

Assuming you have a base V6 and not the SVT, you could always build a GMK style intake, instructions and parts list are available on NECO, I think building your own comes out to about half the cost of the NPG intake. That said I have the NPG and love it.

Back