• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID issue: Driver-side capsule misfiring

teamSVTour

Hard-core CEG'er
So my driver-side capsule has decided it only likes to fire up occasionally. Every time I turn my headlights on, my passenger capsule fires up the first time I turn it on. Even my FOG HID's both fire up the first time (albeit my driver-side fog fires up a split second after the passenger side fog).

When I turn on the headlights my driver-side has this rapid clicking sound...almost sounds like a bug zapper...which I am assuming is the ignitor going through several ignite attempts. After about 4 rapid clicks it stops. I then have to turn them off and try it again. it usually takes me between 5-10 times for the driver-side to ignite with the passenger side. Its getting really annoying.

Any ideas? I was thinking a bad ignitor but i don't know. I may try another bulb. The kit I'm running is a OEM Phillips kit with all the relays and fuses and running straight to the battery. It is all OEM and legit. No crappy kit work.

Thats the same crap I went through for a couple weeks when I first put my kit it. I thought I needed a relay so I got one and wired it up, thought that fixed the prob but then it did it again a couple days later. So I took out the relay and now mine have worked ever since... Weird deal, maybe mine just needed to be broke it...:shrug: j/k how long have you had this kit on your car?

I'd say almost 2 years with this kit. Its irritating as hell. I get stares when I keep turning my one light off and on repeatedly lol.

Its not good to be turning the HIDs off/on repeatedly like that. the first thing i would do is swap bulbs. just take the good one from the other headlight and plug it into the ballast. try the troubled bulb in the other ballast as well and make sure it works there.

Its not good to be turning the HIDs off/on repeatedly like that. the first thing i would do is swap bulbs. just take the good one from the other headlight and plug it into the ballast. try the troubled bulb in the other ballast as well and make sure it works there.

yea I know its bad to do but I can't deal with just one headlight :laugh:. I'm going to try swapping bulbs today.

yeah, turning my lights on and off is what I had to do to get mine to finally come on. I think i did end up changing out the bulb that was doing it and that fixed it. Also check your wires, if they have any splices, or cut in them that can mess them up as well.

Mine was doing that on a cheaper kit... just replaced the ballast.

Mine is OEM phillips..I'd hate to think its the ballast. Not sure if I can find a single Phillips slim ballast for sale. If it was a cheap kit that has the ignitor and ballast in one maybe...but the Phillips ballast and ignitor is separate.

Back