• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with odd Ebay Intake

ub3rduck

CEG'er
I was cruising ebay the other day and found this intake listed at a starting bid of $1 and $10 shipping. I put up a maximum bid of $5 just for kicks and ended up wining it for the $1. Seems kind of janky, but you can't beat $11 for an intake :shrug:

screenshot20100608at238.png

I'm wondering if anyone knows if anyone has seen this kind before or knows of the company that makes it? It supposedly was pulled off an SVT contour and looks like it's probably custom. I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to install. From the looks of it I'll need to attach the MAF assembly to the long end of it and tuck it under the battery tray if I want to use it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Yes it is a custom intake...and needs additional parts to make it work. How it;s setup is you remove your stock intake components so all is left is the throttle body. You have to remove the Intake filter housing stand, that the intake slips into. This intake is going to run downward. So you bolt it to the throttle body and face the tube Downward and the other end will stick out in front of the transmission. Now the huge problem with this is....the intake itself works better on escapes. But the idea was used on contours...Because of the length of the intake...it becomes exposed at the bottom of the car. Increasing the chance of pulling in water...and getting dirty as all hell!! In some cases the under the car air damn helps with reducing these issues. The main problem is the air intake tube isn't really doing it's job. It's actually pulling in cold air..but the pipe sitting next to the engine and trans kinda kills the purpose of it. Also the maf gets moved... altering the air and fuel ratios causing some people to have idling problems or the car stalling while slowing down to a light..or turning a corner.

So the thing never sold....and there were 1 off custom pieces. Now i said missing parts...well you need to extend all the hoses etc etc. and couplers...clamps..

So why on the escapes? Well the intake is up higher and the chances of pulling in water is less likey. Also the escapes have the splash guards protecting the bottom.

I was thinking about getting a bypass valve mostly because its always snowing up here and my splash guard is currently in my garage at home. I bought the thing mostly for aesthetics (how much difference can cold vs warm air really make?) and to clean up the engine bay a bit. Maybe I'll see if I can get some couplers real cheap to test fit it.

I was also thinking about cutting it in half right after the vacuum hose fittings to make it into two parts. That way I could use the top half in place of the accordion like the BAT intake pipe and the MAF wouldn't be moved and the bottom end just to extend the filter down. I feel like it might curve too much to do that however.

Back