• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heat Shield Rattling?

Wease

New CEG'er
Anyone had their exhaust heat shield rattle before? Like really bad? Mine has always made a bit of noise, but recently got a lot louder. I got under the car and can't really seem to figure out why it's rattling. Should I replace it? Is it easy to do? Any other options? :confused:

Mine vibrates in a certain RPM range every time I drive it, but it's the result of a poorly-fit Trubendz exhaust. I have contact between the central muffler and the heat shield. I've gotten underneath multiple times and tried to make it so there's no contact between the two, but have had no luck. I think my next step is going to be header wrap around the muffler at the contact point.

Mine vibrates in a certain RPM range every time I drive it, but it's the result of a poorly-fit Trubendz exhaust. I have contact between the central muffler and the heat shield. I've gotten underneath multiple times and tried to make it so there's no contact between the two, but have had no luck. I think my next step is going to be header wrap around the muffler at the contact point.

Same here, in the sense that I can't find the contact point. It's quite annoying and I think it attaches through the floor boards? So I'd have to pull up the carpet to replace it? Not sure about that...

Heat shield is held in by huge 24mm or so nuts. They're really awkward. If you get under car you'll see what I mean. It's common for the heat shield to break and fall over the nuts that hold it in place. Half of my heat shield is gone just for this reason. The two rear pieces are actually riveted together just before the first 90 degree bend in the exhaust.

i wonder if thats what my problem is, i was thinking my struts are bad i even had a friend bounce the car all crazy like to see if i could hear it inside the car and couldnt hear a thing, i looked at the shield and it appeared fine though..

Back