• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlight question

satya_svt98

Veteran CEG'er
Because my left headlight wiring burnt and I am ordering one.. I put both my highbeams lights and wiring in the normal headlight socket. Now when I drive with my "highbeams on" I have lights as I normally would. Do I need to worry about anything by driving like this temporarily?

Do you mean that your low beam circuit broke so you moved the high beam bulbs into the low beam pockets for now? It is higher wattage, but; some people have put the bulb for high beams in both positions for more light with low circuit on. If you don't cause overheating in the socket and gets you by looks good to go.
PS: I wouldn't try high output high beam bulbs in there. IIRC normal high and low (9005 and 9006) are only like 10 watt different.

The low beam wiring is where the headlight plug melted.. so I not only did I move the high beam ligtbulb over..but also what the high beams plug into. So I drive with my "brights" on ..but since they are plugged into the normal headlight place.. I think they look normal. When you say 10 watt difference.. I dont really know what that means. like more chance of issues/

Electrical rating of power consumed to make light. like home lightbulbs are sold by watt type 40, 60, 75 etc. . . I only said it to let you know more heat is made with the high beam bulb. It is partially OK from the small difference and you aren't running the low lamps at the same time. This means you shouldn't overheat the headlight and melt it with only two lamps working right now.

Back