• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

has anybody had problems with felpro head gaskets

Sable23

Veteran CEG'er
just curious because after i got my contour done it was ticking really bad thought lifters swapped them out and it still ticked took a lab micro camera and looked down in the combustion chamber and each side of the pistons have a shiney spot where it is hitting the head. at first i thought rod bolts stretched on me but it runs fine other then the noise and there is no rod knock. also it did it when i was first cranking it over to circulate the oil. so after a little more research found out that the felpro gasket is only 40 thousandths and the ford factory gasket is 65 thousandths. i kow that the piston is supposed to come above the block a little because of my new contour (already have the head off) although i did not measure how far beyond the deck it goes.

any thoughts on this? it is not hitting hard enough to really do any damage just hard enough to make a ticking sound. i am thinking the thicker gasket will solve the problem but wanted to hear what you guys thought about it?

I never looked into it but when I pulled the head on my turbo zetec the last time I noticed marks on the head where it looked like the pistons had been hitting it. I figured it was from something else since all of the pistons were smooshed inwards some (crap pistons, never use Probe racing pistons). I had been using the felpro gasket.

I think I have some pics somewhere, ill see if I can find them and post them.

Edit: this is the piston that melted but at the top you can see a distinct line on it from where it was hitting the head
100_0601.jpg

Ive used felpro gaskets for the intake manifold and the valve cover and haven't had any probs. But i haven't had to do a head gasket job yet...(knock on wood):laugh: Pray i don't, sorry i don't have much more advice

yeah mine was shiney on both sides of the piston like half circles sorta... idk plan on tearing into it yet again after i get the head from my other contour bad from the shop...

Back