• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Happy Birthday!

My SVT was built 10 years ago today!

Now if only it ran right. Any recommended/trusted/knowledgeable places to take the Contour for a tune up around the Gaithersburg area?

I've been dealing with a high RPM power loss on this car for as long as I can remember now. Many small things have temporarily fixed it, only for the problem to return within a week or so. It would be nice to find somebody who could actually figure out what the problem is.

My SVT was built 10 years ago today!

Now if only it ran right. Any recommended/trusted/knowledgeable places to take the Contour for a tune up around the Gaithersburg area?

I've been dealing with a high RPM power loss on this car for as long as I can remember now. Many small things have temporarily fixed it, only for the problem to return within a week or so. It would be nice to find somebody who could actually figure out what the problem is.

Are the soncdaries connected/ running right? Or you might have to elaborate on that a little big more..

Are the soncdaries connected/ running right? Or you might have to elaborate on that a little big more..

As far as I know everything engine wise is fine. I've had the secondaries cleaned (which like everything else helped for about a week) and the motor definitely pulls at 4 grand, but then it's as if the fuel shut off kicks in around 5 grand. It's hard to explain. It's just a complete and jarring power loss.

My best guess is some sensor isn't functioning correctly.

any codes?

how is fuel pressure?

secondaries are confirmed opening? (sounds like they are working)

secondary rod connected? (sounds okay)

what mods do you have to your car?

to me it would seem like either fuel or spark is your problem... and since these cars are known to have fuel pump problems a good place to start... maybe the fuel filter change.. those are cheap $5-$10 and easy to change

just asking questions to get a clearer picture.

You can PM DanG (Dan). He's the closest guru to you. He's in Gainesville, VA. 69Boss302 (mike) was in Annapolis, but i'm not sure where he lives now. You can also find DanG on NECO.

G'burg

G'burg

Any recommended/trusted/knowledgeable places to take the Contour for a tune up around the Gaithersburg area?

You might laugh, but Gaithersburg Mazda does all the work on my car. I have a family connection, which helps, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it somewhere else if I wasn't happy (got a service writer fired from Tysons Ford when he decided to go up against me on how they had screwed up the rear sway bar bushings). Unfortunately the tech who does most of the work (Leslie) broke his collarbone and is out right now. He has done everything from regular maintenance to replace rear subframe, yank engine and tranny and ship to TH for rebuild (then reinstall with new clutch etc.), and diagnose other maladies. If you go, call Roy Farley (Tanvir is good too, but Roy knows my car). I know they have other techs who are good and have worked on my SVT, but Leslie is the one I know the best.

any codes?

how is fuel pressure?

secondaries are confirmed opening? (sounds like they are working)

secondary rod connected? (sounds okay)

what mods do you have to your car?

to me it would seem like either fuel or spark is your problem... and since these cars are known to have fuel pump problems a good place to start... maybe the fuel filter change.. those are cheap $5-$10 and easy to change

just asking questions to get a clearer picture.

There is no CEL, but that doesn't mean there are no codes. Nobody I have ever taken it to has ever mentioned any codes though.

The secondaries feel like they are opening, but in the past they had gotten gunked up and needed to be cleaned, but when that happened there was no pull at 4k RPM.

I'd assume if the secondaries are in fact opening, then the rod must be ok?

No real mods. K&N air filter (put on after having these issues, so I know that's not the problem) and that's about it. It's basically bone stock. I've replaced various components, but no luck so far.

As for the fuel pump, that's always been my next target. But I get conflicting opinions on whether a fuel pump can be partially bad. Most people tell me the fuel pump either works or it doesn't. I have changed the fuel filter. Replaced plugs and wires. Cleaned, then replaced the MAF.

PCV valve has been a suggested replacement. But at that point I was feeling defeated and gave up. But you know, with it's birthday and all, I feel like I should rededicate myself to making it run right.

You might laugh, but Gaithersburg Mazda does all the work on my car. I have a family connection, which helps, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it somewhere else if I wasn't happy (got a service writer fired from Tysons Ford when he decided to go up against me on how they had screwed up the rear sway bar bushings). Unfortunately the tech who does most of the work (Leslie) broke his collarbone and is out right now. He has done everything from regular maintenance to replace rear subframe, yank engine and tranny and ship to TH for rebuild (then reinstall with new clutch etc.), and diagnose other maladies. If you go, call Roy Farley (Tanvir is good too, but Roy knows my car). I know they have other techs who are good and have worked on my SVT, but Leslie is the one I know the best.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would have to say look at your IAT. With getting the new K&N it tends to be over oiled most of the time, and if you go WOT when its newer it tends to gunk up a lot of the sensors. I had that happen to my Zetec contour. I had to clean the MAF sensors, IAT and clean the throttle body thoroughly, meaning take it off the car so the throttle cleaner doesn't get in your manifold because it will burst if it puddles! Also, being that you are having power loss at higher RPM, I would have to say to check all air flows to ensure there is no blockages at all. Whether it is intake or exhaust. So, are you catalyst clogged? Are you valves gunked up? Are your upper and lower manifolds clean? Does your butterfly valve open fully? Do you have a leak in your K&N that you just installed, because you need to ensure that you have tightened everything down, one leak behing the MAF will kill performance at higher RPM levels, normally just above 4K. etc. etc...

Back