• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Haha, just posting todays adventures

conbon

CEG'er
I learned how to change my oil today! It had been 9,000 miles since I got the car and it hadn't been changed yet, so I figured it was a little overdue. I went on a "short drive to warm up the oil" but I think I went to far because the oil/engine/exhaust was hot by the time I got back. I really had no trouble with the oil change, other than the filter being in the most retarded place ever. When it was all said and done, I had a 5 quart jug filled with about 3 quarts of dirty oil that kinda smelled like gas. After that I moved on to fuel filter. I relied on my Haynes manual for assistance. Note to self, don't lie under fuel filter when you pull the hoses off. The filter was full of gas that kinda looked like oil. I'm pretty sure that the stuff in my fuel filter and the stuff in my oil filter were actually the same thing, both were dark liquids that smelled like gas. I went for a little test ride afterwards to make sure everything was good, and it was better than good....my check engine light went off! Also why I was under there I noticed that the bracket/band that supports the catalytic converter was snapped. Last spring I had a rattle start, sounded like the cat going bad, turns out that was the thing rattling and my cat is fine. I might get one next time I go to the junkyard, but it seems like its doing just fine without it. Basically at the end of the day, my car runs smoother, idles better, overheats less, no longer rattles, and is no longer throwing up a CEL code....I think it was a productive day.

/rant

Are you talking about the bracket right next to the flex pipe? If so you don't need that bracket. If you're talking about the strap holding the cat, that might be a bit more necessary to avoid a lot of stress on the manifold studs.

Its the braket that clamps around the cat. I've been going 6 months strong without it, still haven't craked my exhaust manifold or anything. I'll try and scrounge one up next time I run to the JY, but for now I'm jsut leaving it alone cause I'm glad it doesn't rattle anymore.

-Connor

Back