• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

good snow tires?

as a Toledo native, I'll help you.....look down a few posts :shrug:
I have never had snow tires before and so far I low the Hankook Ice Bears I just bought. I can tell no difference from an all-season and thats a good thing, especially for you in Toledo where you don't get much deep snow.
-J

I have blizzak revo winter tires. The snow performance is excellent. The ice performance is so so.

The all season Hankooks I had were terrible in snow.

I have Blizzak LM-25, so far I'm happy with them, have handled well on both snow and ice. From previous experience with tires (usually all season) you get what you pay for. While I understand budget constraints, spend a little extra and getter a higher quality tire, it will pay off in the end.

While I understand budget constraints, spend a little extra and getter a higher quality tire, it will pay off in the end.

wow there is actually someone out there that gets it also. cheap is cheap, I spend the money for a good quality tire and I feel very confidant in my car. example, gf's taurus got cheap all season tires and she hated how the car handled, so did I.

wow there is actually someone out there that gets it also. cheap is cheap, I spend the money for a good quality tire and I feel very confidant in my car. example, gf's taurus got cheap all season tires and she hated how the car handled, so did I.

Learned the hard way that pretty much with anything, what you pay for is what you get. The SVT is the first car I've ever had to buy snow tires for, I've always just ran all seasons. I put Michelin Symmetry's on our current 98 Windstar and our previous 99 Taurus (SVT replaced) and have had great luck with them in all conditions, while they aren't the most expensive on the market I like them, quiet, and dependable in bad weather.

Drove around yesterday in my yokohama ice guard IG20's in TONS of snow. Highway, city driving, hills. Wasn't afraid of not stopping or getting stuck at all. Made it up every snow covered hill with ease. The only problem I had was (and I think this will happen with any tire) driving on the highway and having one or both side of tires driving along huge snow mounds created from trucks and other cars. Little bit of drifting but completely manageable.

I just bought Hankook Winter iPike w409 tires(full warranty and crap for $282 installed). They seem to have a soft sidewall and a flat contact area. That being said, I've had to slow down a little, but considering that these are snow tires, I guess that is to be expected. Although I have yet to drive with them in a blizzard, I haven't lost traction in any ice I've encountered.

I didn't get the studs(they can be used with studs), but the tech who installed the tires said that he has the same tires without studs and loves them.

These will be the last tires I buy for 14" rims.:mad:

I've been driving the Lexus with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's. Awesome tire!

For everyday driving (no snow), it feels and handles almost like a summer tire. In the snow it tears through anything and the only time I had trouble was in deep snow (over 8 inches), unplowed, never driven in. It's RWD too, so I'd say it did pretty damn awesome. I just need some weight in the back.

My Blizzak WS-50's on the SVT never had trouble EVER, in any snow, but those are not performance snows and only rated for 88 mph. I wanted a good balance of performance and snow traction so I went with Dunlop this time around.

Mine are 185/70R-14 88T BLK, so they are rated to 118 mph, but I'm not going to verify it. With the tall sidewall and the skinny tire, it already feels very squirrely with the Torsen, like it keeps tracking back and forth under hard acceleration. I'm already looking forward to getting some rims and wide tires for the summer.

I have the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's also.
I personally hated them in the snow. I used to have Conti-Extremes on my silver SVT and never had an issue in unplowed snow or ice.
The Winter Sports are now on the black SVT and we'll see how my husband likes them this year.

On a positive note:
My daughter, in CT, has the Dunlop Graspic's on her SE and she loves them. She called the other day just to tell me how great her snows were. :)

On a positive note:
My daughter, in CT, has the Dunlop Graspic's on her SE and she loves them. She called the other day just to tell me how great her snows were. :)

my family uses these also, everyone has been happy with them also

I've been driving the Lexus with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's. Awesome tire!

For everyday driving (no snow), it feels and handles almost like a summer tire. In the snow it tears through anything and the only time I had trouble was in deep snow (over 8 inches), unplowed, never driven in. It's RWD too, so I'd say it did pretty damn awesome. I just need some weight in the back.

I put a set of SP Winter Sport 3D's on my SVT ten days ago and I'm very pleased. They did quite well in fairly deep stuff yesterday, and like you say, they feel almost like a performance summer tire in the dry.

Back