• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Going through or around Chicago this week?

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Hey all,

I got the following msg from LUCA about Chicago travel

Hi!
I need some help.
Besides 7,8 & 9 am and 4, 5, 6 pm are there any other times to avoid Chicago?

Since I don't travel around or in Chicago very much I had to check with an expert, here is their response

Traffic is worse going north/west in the morning and south/east and downtown in the evenings. They should be good from 9 to 3.

I know hetfield posted some good routes to avoid Chicago traffic as well, so this is just some extra info, if anyone else has any other helpful info please post it up.

Some things to keep in mind:

Check your GPS before you leave. GPS units I've used will try to route you through downtown Chicago because 1) technically it's faster if you don't consider traffic, and 2) there are no tolls. What I've done in the past is set a way point on I-294 at one of the many oases (a list of them is available here). You'll probably want to stop at one anyway for gas, food, bathrooms, or just to rest. If you're coming from the east on I-90 make sure you plan out where you need to switch to I-94 in Indiana. If you stay on I-90 you'll end up merging with I-94 with no way to get to I-294. Basically you follow I-80. Here is a map of the area:

i294.jpg

Bring toll money. If you have any of the electronic toll units (I-Pass, EZ Pass, etc) you can use the high-speed toll lanes (no slowing down!), but if you don't you will need cash. All of the manual lanes are staffed, so you won't need exact change unless you exit the system.

Going on 94 north through chicago will add about 45minutes of travel time when congested. I just drove through there on wednesday and it took 45 minutes to travel 5 miles around 5-6pm. There are a few tolls $1.00, $3.00, etc.... Have about $10 ready for coming this way paying tolls.

294 north which is just west of chicago will add a little drive time (10 minutes maybe) but bypasses that city cluster f**k. Not sure on toll costs on the 294 but if you have that $10 on you, you will be ok.

Back